Switch to English Language Passer en langue franηaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,262   Online: 857

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 71112131415161718 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    It definitely Art because it was presented as such, and has been acknowledged by some to be that which it purports to be. Is it any good? I certainly don't see anything in it, and I am not enough of a mental masturbator to invent a bunch of archetypal backwash to satisfy the blanks. That said, it can be neither good, nor bad. Those are perceptions that do more to define the observer, than the object. Saying this is good or bad is nothing more than a label for yourself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    For the fun of it, what type of neighborhood do you live in. And is it spooky to you.
    Michael
    Not the suburbs (not a small town either). No, it's not spooky.
    Cate

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KB • PhotoRant • PhotoPermit • APUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been thinking about this and I think a better word to describe Shore's work is "edgy". "Spooky" is O.K., but maybe a bit strong, and give too much sense of definition to what it is that's not completely straightforward.

Bjorke, I had a look at your work and I don't find it spooky. I don't think I find it "edgy" either, though one or two may be slightly so.
    Cate

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The middle one says to me;

"The television, having finally broken free from its enslavement within the bungalow, stopped, turned, and plotted its revenge".

Spooky.

Murray
    Last edited by MurrayMinchin; 07-29-2006 at 06:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin
    The middle one says to me;

"The television, having finely broken free from its enslavement within the bungalow, stopped, turned, and plotted its revenge".

Spooky.

Murray
    And the mummified car....

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    Bjorke, I had a look at your work and I don't find it spooky.
    I never make claim to any a priori adjectives. It just leads to sorrow.

"What Would Zeus Do?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    I never make claim to any a priori adjectives. It just leads to sorrow.
    I think you're right in that, and answers often come later, although that doesn't mean you shouldn't have a clear intention or purpose. I had assumed that your purpose was not 'spooky', or I wouldn't have given my opinion in such bald terms. Now from your slightly ambiguous response I'm not entirely sure, and I apologise if I was mistaken.

There are lots of good words to describe the work you've done, but I don't see it as my place to suggest them as you haven't asked for such feedback. Anyway, it seems that this is a work in progress and I think such works should be allowed to reach completion before dissection....
    Cate

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    Now from your slightly ambiguous response...
    I didn't mean to be unduly ambiguous, only to let the pictures be their own messengers, which is imo as it should be. Every viewer will pick their own adjectives, and many viewers, even for the crudest of snapshots, will experience impressions that they cannot neatly tuck into words (or worse, they will pick words that do not fit, and through the effects of mediacy, the words will mask the pictures and subsequently blind everyone who hears them).

(It may just be an eccentricity, but I deeply mistrust words as a useful descriptive medium for any arts other than verbal ones. Which is a prime reason why I always try to include pictures in any lengthy post, if at all possible.)

An older related PDF is here. After I made it I realized that all of the photographs had been made within a 500m radius of my desk, though that was not my initial intent.

"What Would Zeus Do?"

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch
    Does Shore fancy himself as a sort of present day Atget. Documenting various things but in modern color. However, Shore lacks Atget's insight and humor to name two missing concepts in his work.
    A much more apt (though not 100% accurate) comparison would be doing American Photographs, but in colour and in the 1970's (which of course is Evans doing Atget doing America in many ways)

In fact in another way American Photographs is also an interesting comparison. Probably the most important book of American modern photography, it is meant to work as a series. The are some very strong photographs, some not so strong ones and a number of fairly weak ones (and a good few that "don't tell the whole story" in just the one image). Few (if any) depend on dramatics to work their magic. Lots of them are of the ordinary, the everyday, the mundane. But they all work together and inform one another and the sum the whole is greater than the individual parts.

(and Lincoln Kirstein's essay in itself is a valuable read for any photographer)
    Last edited by tim atherton; 07-29-2006 at 05:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin