Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,948   Posts: 1,557,856   Online: 794

Page 1 of 18 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Is this a good photo?

I am curious to see what the general consensus is about this photo. I know this is a totally opinionated question and there is no right or wrong answer. I am interested in seeing why some people like this photo and why some do not. I am sure some people have seen this photo before, probably some haven't. I am not going to say who took the photo yet because I feel I will get more honest answers if some people don't know who took this. I will give my opinion later assuming there is interest in this thread. Thanks.
    -Grant

kneejerk time? colour me cynical and maybe I can be proved wrong....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I see it as a well composed record shot of an, otherwise, rather boring scene.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the red car had not been there it would have been a bit of a boring picture.

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's okay. It's mundane subject matter but even mundane subject matter can be elevated to artistic value. Looks a lot like Eggleston (and the autos look like his period). Looks a lot like Robert Adams except he only does black and white.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My biggest concern Grant is if you didn't take it, then you should not post it..but that said, as Ralph said, good comp of an otherwise mundane scene.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Does nothing for me....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    No, I don't see it as a good image, either topically or compositionaly. The primary reason is because there is no center of interest - nothing that captures the eye. Secondly, the natural lines in the image - the roads - both lead the eyes outside the image, making this a difficult image to maintain eye contact with. Third, the road in the foreground, looks like just a mass, there is very little texture that would give a sense of depth. I could go on, there are a number of other problems with the image, but these three are enough to discourage contemplating the image any further.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here is my take.

I've seen plenty of very similar subject photos taken in say the 1910's & 20's, and been fascinated. Why? It shows the world I'll never have known it. Now this one, taken within our lifespans, isn't all that interesting, yet. It still shows stuff we see every day and is pretty ho-hum.

Pull this one out the box again in 2100 and I bet it will be a hell of a lot more better. Some subject require aging.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Images
    I'm surprised by the comments on composition. To my eye it is terribly unbalanced with lots of conflicting, distracting elements.

I'm sure that it is meaningful and says something that the person who made it considers important. (See the "Dearest APUG" thread)
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Page 1 of 18 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin