Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,214   Posts: 1,532,113   Online: 1084

Is this a BAD photograph

Forgive me if this prolongs the agony for some, but I found the discussion regarding a "good" photograph to be quite interesting. Also, if this thread should be moved to the critique area, feel free.

So, with a simple twist of the google wrist I came up with a link to some really
    Bad Photography

Have a look, see what you think. I was quite taken by the show and by some of the images, which, if dressed up with a suitable artist statement and served with the appropriate wine and cheese in an uptown gallery, could go for 5K a pop.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It seems to go along with the current global trend of glorifying the mediocre and ignoring the artistic.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith
    It seems to go along with the current global trend of glorifying the mediocre and ignoring the artistic.

Steve.
    Steve, what's "the artistic" ?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith

Steve.
    Then what is 'vernacular' photography? Not artistic?
    Best,

Wiggy

Note to Self: Tse-Tse Fly - No Antidote

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh brother, people keep rediscovering bad photo! The Lomos, toy cameras, polaroid, etc etc. What they fail to admit is that they really want to make good pictures that follow a standard different from the established good. But they don't want to make bad pictures, come on.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

They were probably a collection of photographs that a lab collected that were at the beginning of all the rolls they processed.

They were frame -1, while the photographer was winding the film forward to the correct starting point.

I've probably got some of those that are worth a fortune.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Exactly!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    They were probably a collection of photographs that a lab collected that were at the beginning of all the rolls they processed.

They were frame -1, while the photographer was winding the film forward to the correct starting point.
    Holy crap! If this is "art", I've contributed my fair share to the local landfill. Some of them were't frame 1 either!
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin