Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,550   Online: 1067

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Artur Zeidler
    Unfortunately, in the last few years studies shown that training and professional standards across numerous police departments in the US, especially (though not only) the smaller departments, have declined. I say unfortunately, because this is my particular area of expertise having been involved in this since 1977.
    Im not quite sure what studies you are looking at....but...
    In this day and age of the 'sue everyone' mentality, departments cannot afford to downgrade training. Being 'in the biz', and a graduate of two police academies, I assure you that my training was well over 10-15 TIMES the training that an officer received in 1980.
    As far as the smaller departments go, that is also a false statement. Even if a department has one officer, his/her training must still comply with the state's guidelines. Most departments defer their officers to a state-run academy, as the cost of running one would quadruple their budgets. Usually, only large metro areas hold their own academies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey its the left vs. the right thing all over again!! Yippeee! Let's be devisive!

Y'all know its the fault of the blue swallows, I mean the red swallows --ooops!

Enough already!

Perhaps in this thread what we are really witnessing with this story and its responses might simply be left-brained vs. right-brained viewpoints?

Ok, I admit there might be some no-brained viewpoints thrown in here as well.
    J Michael Sullivan
    Editor/Publisher, MAGNAchrom
    www.magnachrom.com

...SOMETIMES I SEE THINGS...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This almost happened to me last weekend, in my own yard. Here's what happened. I live in a small apartment building - four units, so there's little parking. On Sunday, my neighbor's father and brother paid a visit and parked in the only space available - the front yard.

Just as they got out of their cars, two other cars crashed at the intersection, and the foot of one of the drivers slipped off the brake and hit the gas. His car crashed into my neighbor's father's truck and slammed it into her brother's car. The front wheels of the car continued to spin and dug deep holes in my yard.

The driver of one of the vehicles began to blame my neighbor - saying the cars should not have been parked where they were, so I went inside, got my Nikon F and a roll of film, and began taking pictures to document what happened.

The police went into hysterics. One ran up to be and screamed in my face. I had to ask him to repeat himself three times, telling him I couldn't understand him when he yelled like that. I finally understood that he was saying I didn't have any right to be there. I pointed out that it was my yard, I had every right to be there.

Then he threatened to arrest me for "interfering with my accident scene." I told him I'd sue his ass off. He ordered me to leave, so I went inside and took photographs of the police standing around doing nothing through my window.

We seem to have a rash of stories about police objecting to photography with real cameras while ignoring the true culprits - digital and cell phone cameras.
    juan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAGNAchrom
    Hey its the left vs. the right thing all over again!!
    No, it's not. And I hope it doesn't turn this way.

Maybe some people are happy with photographing flowers in their basement.
    I like to photograph people on the street, like the vast majority of photographers. I think it concerns us.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Artur Zeidler
    This kind of thing is pretty common these days. Gung ho, law unto themselves police harassing and/or arresting photographers on trumped up non-existent laws (you have to love a police department that doesn't actually have a supervisor on duty).
    He used a camera phone.... he was NOT a photographer. :rolleyes:
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of the first things I learned as a newspaper shooter ?
    Get the Picture and Stay Out of the Way.

"Rights" are one thing, "Human Nature" is another.

We know why cops are most afraid when they are called to a "Domestic Disturbance".

There are problems with the Blog that was cited to begin this thread: both stories are twisted versions of incomplete, single account stories. Neither story was picked up by other local news. What really happened ? Who knows.

Cops aren't perfect, and they don't usually fly off the handle.
    Normal people go to pieces every day. And cops probably have cameras stuck in their face far more often than do normal people, seldom with benign intent.

Stick a camera in somebody's face - anybody's - in ANY circumstance,
    and you probably deserve what you get.

Imagine this: your kid has just been vile, and you are in the process of
    correcting his misbehaviour. A complete stranger appears behind you and begins taking pictures.

What are the questions that come first ? WHO ARE YOU ? WHY ARE YOU TAKING PICTURES ? And so on. Human Nature. It's too easy to make somebody look bad, to make somebody appear to be abusing a child, breaking the law.... anything. You resent the interference, and rightly so.

A camera will incite anxiety in normal, innocent people as quickly as brandishing a firearm. Especially when the the photographer doesn't know how to conduct himself. More important than knowing films and lenses, you need to know how to belong in an event, and how to make the camera non-threatening. Are you REALLY there just to be a witness ? Really ?

If there were an accident that put an automobile in my front yard,
    first thing I do I chill out as quickly as I can, and go out and introduce myself to the cop. Walk slowly, and behave like you live there.

When the pleasantries are out of the way, I tell him I'm going to take a picture of the scene from my porch for the insurance company. Then, I do it, go in, and get out of the way. HINT: use your Point & Shoot, not the Nikon, zoom, motor, strobe.

Some people see 'action' and want to pretend they're a cop, a journalist,
    or avenging angel. They want to 'make a difference' but don't know what they are doing.

You want to 'make a difference' ? Be out in the neighborhood every day, not just when there's something exciting. Hate injustice ? Get involved. Want to get rid of Bad Cops ? Become a Good Cop.

Want to get rid of incompetant, criminal, and corrupt elected officials ?Vote.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    Yes, my social thinking goes more to the left than to the right, I am from Europe, you have a problem with that?
    I am telling you nothing. There are facts and if you are blind to them by fanatical nationalism it is your problem.
    Things are not better in Europe or elsewhere in the world for that matter.

As a photographer you should worry that photography is getting criminalised and its not the first example of if, there has been many threads on APUG about this matter. The NY metro for example or LFers getting harassed as being suspicious of terrorist activities.

And anyway, I didn't write the article, I just found it on a popular US technology site.
    Wake up.
    So then, why not post the story about how Greece has been criminally prosecuting a bunch of middle-aged Brit tourists who were taking pictures of commercial airliners?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know how to conduct myself. I was a news photographer for TV stations for years - I know how to stay out of the way, and how to keep my head on a swivel and be sure I stay out of the way. I was not in sticking a camera in a police officer's face, I was well away from everyone. The police officer had to run about 25-feet to get in my face.

It was broad daylight - no strobe - I don't have a motor drive.

The other neighbors were in the same area as me. None of them were spoken to. The objection from the policeman came solely because I was taking photographs. He was obviously very afraid of something - I have no idea what.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    I like to photograph people on the street, like the vast majority of photographers......
    A fun game to play is to sit at the cafe table,
    and watch the passersby. Find the cameras.

It's embarrassing to watch inexperienced and earnest
    'street photographers' trying to work. If there is one in the area,
    I usually go inside. Or, if I'm really irritated, I'll see how many pictures I can get of him before he realizes he's being shot.

But it's much more fun to sit out and watch the world go by.

d
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I think in the U.S. people should have the right to take photos in public places - on the sidewalk, etc. Take a photo of a kid at the park you might get accused of being a child molester. Take a photo of a woman walking down the street you may be accused of being a pervert. Take a photo of a bridge and you may be accused of being a terrorist - especially if your skin is a certain shade.

People have gone nuts with law and order stuff and if you watch Fox news you'd think every other person was going to abduct a child or scud a nuke plant. Every time something happens we have yet another new law hastily passed to make sure anyone doing the same thing in the future is sure to suffer to the max.

Personally, I'd rather have some crime and some danger than live in a world where people are afraid to express themselves and, god forbid, take photos of cops.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin