Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,988   Online: 783

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tim, from my original post: "The police officer's view of what is obstructing or endangering is what counts at the scene. He is in charge. You might be proven correct when the case goes before the court system but you risk being arrested in the interim."

I don't much like it either but it doesn't change the fact that legal systems seldom have much to do with justice.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    damn, I really wasn't in the mood for a serious and time consuming discussion, I didn't think I was going to be put in the middle of it.
    Oh, well, too late.
    Just be easy on me, I am not in mood for fighting...
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    Just be easy on me, I am not in mood for fighting...
    Me neither. Here, have some more wine.

d
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    Me neither. Here, have some more wine.

d
    Make it a spanish rioja please. My favorite.

I really have lost interest in serious discussions over the internet after sixteen years online. For one thing, I am not sure with whom I am talking with, what kind of person he really is or how many people are hiding behind their terminals and cursing me for generations in secret.
    Its no fun.
    I prefer to see the other person.

Anyway, I have stated my ideas on the matter, if someone else wishes to add something go ahead.
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've got in a lot of disputes with cops over the years and somehow managed to stay out of court, in one case because the DA refused to prosecute. My name is on a watch list and I cannot get jobs in the defense complex because of it. (My day job was an electrical engineer, though I'm unemployed). I generally keep the camera out of sight anymore when cops are around.

The political fact is that by far most police in the USA work for a local municipality. Some, like in my neighborhood, work for a county. Therefore blaming "Bush" for their behavior is nonsense. They answer to a mayor who signs their paychecks. These guys put up with their behavior and the public keeps re-electing them. I guess we should blame the public if anyone.

There does seem to be a lot of this kind of crap lately all over the place. Locally, there have been a lot of cops charged with misconduct. (drunk driving, stealing, spousal abuse, rape, bribery) There seems to be several a week in the news. If they are behaving bad, it's no wonder that cameras are a threat to them. They don't want to get prosecuted and are acting to protect themselves from prosecution and litigation. Cops do act crazy when they are arresting people. I've watched them beating people up in handcuffs, spitting on them, and kicking them where it hurts. Even if you are half a mile from the scene, watching from your front porch, they have been known to arrest you for interfering. Some local judges are idiots and find people in these cases guilty. (I think judges are scared of the cops and their union that comes out around election time.) There's another guy lately in NH who was busted for having security cameras at his house that caught police acting up on his front porch. They've charged him with felonies for the taping. What I don't understand in that case is how Walmart can do it at their stores? What's the difference?

In short, I don't take pictures of cops except when they are at an event showing off their equipment, etc. I have enough trouble with vigilantes to mess with cops. I'm in complete agreement that people ought to be able to take photos of anything in public view. However, we don't live in a perfect world and it isn't worth getting shot, beat up, or sentenced to two years to get a good "shot". And yes, this does happen all over the world, not just the USA.

Doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Observe the Israli Army, get your observation post blown up.

Same deal, I guess.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    Observe the Israli Army, get your observation post blown up.

Same deal, I guess.
    What an absolutely stupid comment.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Since there seems to be no further interest in this topic, can a moderator close the thread as it gives signs of deteriorating into a generalised quasi political flame war?
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    Since there seems to be no further interest in this topic, can a moderator close the thread as it gives signs of deteriorating into a generalised quasi political flame war?
    In other words, having started a controversial thread and become displeased with its direction you want the moderator to pull your fanny out of the fire and close it?

Perhaps next time you will consider the possible reactions and consequences before starting such a thread?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham
    In other words, having started a controversial thread and become displeased with its direction you want the moderator to pull your fanny out of the fire and close it?

Perhaps next time you will consider the possible reactions and consequences before starting such a thread?
    Right, I was expecting such a reaction from you.
    Considering the only thing you have been doing is trying to pick a fight and have not really added anything to the discussion, you should be the last one to talk.
    I was clear with my ideas, I spent my time analysing them and discussing them with other people in a non aggressive non threating manner.
    I said what I wanted to say and have nothing to add.

I have no time or desire to waste it with people like you.
    Say something intelligent and productive, or keep such aggression to yourself.

I was thinking in general about the health of the thread and of the forum. At the very least it can be transfered to the SoapBox so people like you can rip each other's eyes with delight and no control.

I am outta here.
    Last edited by arigram; 08-02-2006 at 08:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.arigram.gr

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin