Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,664   Posts: 1,481,683   Online: 769

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo
    Since work makes daily photography impossible for me, I can only dream of the day when I'll have the option of making one, let alone seven photographs. But, there's no impediment to 'seeing', and I seem to be almost dangerously unable to stop putting a rectangle around everything I encounter on both sides of the road (I commute 100 miles a day round trip.) while driving. OTOH, the notion of setting a daily quota will probably never take hold. Though I 'could' attempt to meet one, I'd probably hate the results. Why, Donald, do you feel the need for a quota, and what do you feel you'll gain from the exercise?
    John,

I made this commitment to myself in an effort to improve my ability to see. In my opinion it seems to have been beneficial in that respect. I returned to the building blocks of some years ago.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    John,

I made this commitment to myself in an effort to improve my ability to see. In my opinion it seems to have been beneficial in that respect. I returned to the building blocks of some years ago.

Well then, you're more than welcome to follow me in my daily commute. We can use radios and agree..."YES!!!...there's a goodie!!", and you can stop and make the photograph, and I can applaud you later for getting it done! Man, I am sooooo ready to retire.....but it ain't gonna happen soon enough, I'm afraid!
    John Voss

My Blog

Since I committed myself to making five new exposures every day (not perfect on that score), I have noticed a change in my priorities insofar as it applies to photography.

My priority now seems to be involved with seeing and exposing film as a departure from making prints. The adventure lies in seeing for me. Has anyone else observed this tendency?
    Donald
    Seeing is important and enjoyable, but to save an awful lot of printing hours in the winter (Arizona ,right?) perhaps put blank paper in 4 of the holders
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Making gelatin-silver photographs (please, they are photographs not prints) is the priority. These photographs are intended as expressive art. Real world subject matter is just another ingredient like film, chemicals, and paper. In effect I will go and get whatever subject matter I need so that the photograph will say what it has to say.

Exposing film and making negatives is just producing the stuff one needs to put into the contact frame or the enlarger so that the true culmination of the photographic process can be achieved. People often forget that the photograph on the gallery wall is a photograph of what was in the camera not what was in front of the camera.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    My priority now seems to be involved with seeing and exposing film as a departure from making prints. The adventure lies in seeing for me. Has anyone else observed this tendency?
    Donald,
    actually seeing and exposing for me had been the priority from the beginning on and this has not changed up 'til today. That is for me the true sensation of photography.
    What I have noticed is that by the time my perception of the environment has gotten clearer and more precise when I got a camera with me, no matter if I really shoot or not.
    Seems the presence of the camera is enuff to switch my built in scanner on alert red !

Regards,
    Bertram
    A la recherche du temps perdu: www. bersac.de

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Donald,

I have not seen a change, however, for those of us that are transparency shooters, seeing and capturing the moment on film is my (our) priority. In the case of the transparency, it is a finished product. The photographic print allows us to share our vision with others and to "take it home with them".

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris
    People often forget that the photograph on the gallery wall is a photograph of what was in the camera not what was in front of the camera.
    Confirms my suspect that some of the printers would like to leave the lenscap on anyway.
    Actually it is in the camera what and how a photog made the camera see something. There are photogs and printers, and that some people can do both does not change it.

Maybe some of the printers should let photographers shoot for them, as I let printers print for me. Thus we could all get rid of the boring part and we all had something decent at the wall. Seems to be ideal solution, doesn't it ?

bertram
    A la recherche du temps perdu: www. bersac.de

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My priority has been shooting when i can and that's only a couple trips a year out of L.A. It's been much too hot in the darkroom to do anything for a while now so i concentrate on exposing film whenever i can. That's the easy part. I find that after using my lf gear for a day or so my ability to make "keepers" improves dramatically.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Since I committed myself to making five new exposures every day

Wow man, you're way ahead of me!
    I'm happy with adding five new photographs to my portfoilos a year!
    Kick back, breath deep and flex your muscles.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rfshootist
    Confirms my suspect that some of the printers would like to leave the lenscap on anyway.
    Actually it is in the camera what and how a photog made the camera see something. There are photogs and printers, and that some people can do both does not change it.

Maybe some of the printers should let photographers shoot for them, as I let printers print for me. Thus we could all get rid of the boring part and we all had something decent at the wall. Seems to be ideal solution, doesn't it ?

bertram
    Maybe the people who make nothing but exposures should not be classed as photographers at all. What is wrong with camera-worker? There have been truly great camera-workers. H.Cartier-Bresson is a prime example. He pointed and clicked a lot but everything visible in relation to his work was made by Pierre Gassman and others.

The appellation "photographer" is an august one and I believe it is given away too freely to people who do not conduct the entire process, start to finish, by their own effort.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin