Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,927   Posts: 1,556,816   Online: 852

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

What is your priority?

Since I committed myself to making five new exposures every day (not perfect on that score), I have noticed a change in my priorities insofar as it applies to photography.

My priority now seems to be involved with seeing and exposing film as a departure from making prints. The adventure lies in seeing for me. Has anyone else observed this tendency?
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've recently taken a class in what they call 'mixed media'. What I found after taking the class was that I now have a great challenge in using my new vision, almost like learning to see all over again. I have begun to find all sorts of interesting things where I never did before and I find myself wishing I had the time to stop and make exposures in the oddest of places. This new vision is certainly an adventure for me, so I think I understand what you are saying. I feel like I opened a door into a room filled with doors, each with the promise of something new and rewarding just waiting to be found.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Donald Miller
    My priority now seems to be involved with seeing and exposing film as a departure from making prints. The adventure lies in seeing for me. ..[/QUOTE]

The balance is everything, but it has to be a dynamic equilibrium - fully committed to one, then the other. A cycle ?

Wonderful news, Donald !

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Brentwood, Contra Costa County, California, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    For me, seeing has to take priority over printing. I can always go into the darkroom and print--even very old negatives. But there are some days--too many--when I should work harder at seeing. I go through phases where I see photo ops everywhere vs. not really seeing anything! It's my own biggest challenge. Always has been.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have had a lot of trouble lately for I took way too many photos at the beginning of summer, it took me weeks to develop the rolls and now I still haven't printed them yet. Now, I want to take more photos but I still want to print the ones I haven't printed, dedicate a whole week to one as I wanted to and also print a new portfolio...
    When it comes to priorities...

ARGH!
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's hard to get the right balance.

I'd like to take more photographs than I do, on the other hand there is ALWAYS a backlog of printing, and too many already that never get printed, even with harsh editing...

I'm not sure that I'm that prolific, compared with lots of people, and yet I don't see how I could do more...

Cate

Donaldhopper, as the flowers now bloom in the forest, so too must they perish in the winter chill.

As the squirrel puts all his energies onto collecting, so must he also dedicate time to bust his nuts.

I congratulate you on your transition and remember that all change is transitory.

When you can snatch the.......................................oh never mind.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Donaldhopper, as the flowers now bloom in the forest, so too must they perish in the winter chill.

As the squirrel puts all his energies onto collecting, so must he also dedicate time to bust his nuts.

I congratulate you on your transition and remember that all change is transitory.

When you can snatch the.......................................oh never mind.

Michael
    Michael,
    I applaud your ability to strip away the superflous and to arrive at the juncture where all things are extraordinarily clear.,..I wish that this was an instance when I observed this ability of yours...unfortunately, I can not.

I know that this is more a condition of my incomplete understanding then it is of your realization. Thank you....another koan for me to consider. If a squirrel busts his nuts in the forest does the tree cry?
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    donald

it's always fun to watch SOMEBODY ELSE work

d
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since work makes daily photography impossible for me, I can only dream of the day when I'll have the option of making one, let alone seven photographs. But, there's no impediment to 'seeing', and I seem to be almost dangerously unable to stop putting a rectangle around everything I encounter on both sides of the road (I commute 100 miles a day round trip.) while driving. OTOH, the notion of setting a daily quota will probably never take hold. Though I 'could' attempt to meet one, I'd probably hate the results. Why, Donald, do you feel the need for a quota, and what do you feel you'll gain from the exercise?
    John Voss

My Blog

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin