Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,303   Posts: 1,536,263   Online: 812

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Eric Sloan.... If he hadn't published so many books on Barns, I would have. A lot of my landscape photography leans toward the rural life and old barns in particular. Can't explain exactly what attracts me to shooting barns and Amish family farms. Maybe it seems to bring me back to a much less complicated time in my life. Don't know, but will continue to shoot until film is no long available.

Q17

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Given that my photography is personal (the original intent is to please myself rather than show or sell), just about everything in my life has inspired me to use my camera.

I was once thrown into a month long shooting frenzy by an Iggy Pop concert. I've been inspired to photograph by the paintings of Magritte and by Hiroshige prints.

Perhaps the most inspiring event for me took place in the mid 1990's. My father had been diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma... he had gone through chemo, radiation and two bone marrow transplants with no change. He couldn't walk across a street without tiring. Then, his antique car buddies came over and got him working on a 1951 Hudson he had planned to restore before he got sick...
    In the next few months, his cancer went into full remission and he was far more active. I took a great many abstracts of classic cars walking around fairgrounds with him for the next summer.

=michelle=

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Caravaggio, Michelangelo, Leondardo Da Vinci, other lesser-known Renaissance painters, the great English Renaissance dramatists (Shakespeare, Marlowe, Lyly), classical Greek mythology.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz
    Vermeer
    Rembrandt
    Odd Nerdrum
    Johannes Itten
    Carl Jung
    Ozzy
    Oh man! Do we have things in common!

The vision of Post-Impressionist painters, the Arts and Crafts Movement, Naturalists and the Boston Schoo. Television and movies. The Talking Heads. Scott Prior.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would hesitate to say "influenced," because it infers too direct a relationship; but I have certainly been inspired by many artists, including the Pre-Rafaelites, the Impressionists, Edward Hopper, Andrew Wyeth, Van Gogh, Picasso, and many others. I've also been inspired by classical composers such as Beethoven, Brahms, Mendelsson, Bach, Vivaldi, never mind, this list is getting too long already! Then there's my wife, who is an artist, several friends who are artists...

Heck, sometimes my cats inspire me!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym
    ...Andrew Wyeth...
    Oh yeah. That dude too. Sheesh. How could I forget? He's so good and so unnerving. I took a detour last year through Brandywine to check out his work and was mesmerized seeing some of my favorite paintings in person.

I suppose I should add Egon Schiele as well. He knew how to make those scratches.

So, the revised list:

Vermeer
    Andrew Wyeth
    Rembrandt
    Odd Nerdrum
    Johannes Itten
    Carl Jung
    Ozzy
    Egon Schiele

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    (Never mind)

Murray
    Last edited by MurrayMinchin; 08-03-2006 at 01:08 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Off on a tangent...

Zen
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Edward Weston put it down to 'amazement at subject matter' and that's something I can easily relate to in my photography when exploring new places.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Growing up on a farm was critical: the daily social connections at school, the solitude and family at home. Began snapping friends, family, places.

And I LOVED the smell of flashbulbs and VP.

Living on the farm, the chores, especially coming in to the house at dusk. The relation of farm life to nature.

Since then, music. Traditional, classical, jazz. Old pop.

Dancing.

The Book of Common Prayer. Bonhoeffer.

Travel: meals with strangers. Communicating with folks without a common language.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, my photos are typically concerned with family and memories. Reading Marcel Proust has served to influence how I view memory. My grandparents considered family photos one of thier most important posessions--my grandmother's scrapbooks are filled with photos of new babies, newlyweds, and relatives in thier coffins. And I am fascinated by psychology and spiritualism. I think all these factors filter through me.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin