Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,181   Online: 1024

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    MenacingTourist influenced me to sketch.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q17
    I was once thrown into a month long shooting frenzy by an Iggy Pop concert. I've been inspired to photograph by the paintings of Magritte and by Hiroshige prints.
    Iggy Pop is indeed an inspiration. Music does it for me too.

Spending time with the people I love - makes me want to make portraits.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am not influenced by any specific photographer. Simply having the knowledge that I can create the images and seeing potential photographs in my surrounding drives me.

I think part of it is that I feel like people have so little appreciation for their surroundings, for nature and all that it holds and offers to us. I love nature and I always want a piece of it to remember and I would also like to bring nature to other people on a level that they might be able to appreciate. Perhaps through my experiences and my photographs I can bring others closer to something I love, help to develop an appreciation or even plant a small seed of appreciation.

I guess, in short, I'm inspired by nature and driven by my own passions.

Paying the mortgage influences me.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Paying the mortgage influences me.

Michael
    Umm.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    35mm
    Good alcohol beverages.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Definitely literature - novels, poems, plays, everything, and film, - far too many to mention or pin down. Artists to some extent, though much less so, I think. Couldn't say how all that influences my own photography exactly, except I know that it does. I'm very recuctant to analyse it too much in case I get self-conscious about it and the whole thing (such as it is) disappears...I also love nature and natural things, spent the latter half of my childhood in the country, so that's there aswell....In fact isn't it whatever makes you the person you are (VERY complex that, to say the least )

That's for the stuff I play around with. For portraits, I don't see so many influences - just the desire to record the moment, you could say 'hold on' to the moment both for people I love and for people I barely know. I think I can see artistic and photographic influences more clearly here - the Dutch painters for use of light, photographers such as Jane Bown.
    Cate

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A colour photograph as evocative as a Jeffrey Smart painting or a black and white performance shot as incisive as a Buddy Guy or Albert Collins guitar lick.

Shooter
    8x10 Format

all good

Quote Originally Posted by lee
    Severian,

where have you been? been missing you and worried something was up.

lee\c
    Lee,
    Everything is just fine. Spent much of the spring preparing for a class trip to Paris, I'll detail that on the travel,geographic location thread, and had to teach both summer sessions. I was also trying to sneak in a few photos of my own.
    thanks,Jack-Severian

Shooter
    8x10 Format

music and photography connection

Quote Originally Posted by jovo
    I've often wondered why so many fine art photographers have spent a portion of their lives practicing to be, or, actually working as professional musicians (Adams, Caponigro, Bullock, Witherill, Les McLean, albeit as a rocker rather than a classicist....and many, many others.) Since that's what I do, and since I've loved photography since childhood I suppose I'm also in that vortex, but I've never tried to fully articulate why the one would influence the other. Both require discipline, constant practice, critical self-evaluation, and draw sustenance from a host of other internal engines. But, what informs me with the greatest energy is the emotional excitement and stimulation I get from each. As a re-creative musician, I can reliably count on a known piece of music to bring that about if I perform it well. As a creative photographer, the path is totally uncertain until the work is finished. Music is temporal and public; photography is concrete and private until I choose to make it public. Both offer tremendous satisfactions. I still have no reliable and certain answers, but I think I'm in tune with the general principles....and they're wonderful fuel for invigorating what life force I've been granted.
    Jovo,
    well stated. I have also wondered about the connection between photography and music, photographers and musicians. There is some bond there, something about music and photography that is similar beyond discipline. Maybe others will add their thoughts.
    Jack

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin