Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,882   Online: 1175

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Dear Bruce,

Thank'ee, she's much better. We've just come back from a 2-week shooting trip to Portugal, via the spas at Llo and St. Thomas. She's sleeping a lot to recover but is no longer walking with a stick. As I write she's making a birthday present for a friend using her 1920s treadle Singer sewing machine. So yes, it's part interest, and part just catching up. We did 3872 km (2345 miles) in our 1972 Land Rover in 13 days...

Cheers,

Roger
    back in my partially mis-spent youth, I did 1300 miles in 3, and then more recently, did 3000+ (from Washington DC to San Francisco) in 3 1/2. 2300 in 13 days sounds positively relaxed! But glad to hear you're doing well after all that driving, and that Frances is up to pedaling her sewing machine again, especially after that much time in a car!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Having many views on the subject I'll post just a few. Obsessions are not good; They control you. You'll spend time/money on them where it should go to things more important. It can easily get to the stage where there can be pain associated with your decisions. Example: Work all the time and find yourself divorced.

If your young and have talent and hutzpa, you can channel your obessive nature into a money making venture/career/artistic talent if you so desire. Remember tho that there must be balance or again you can experience pain and suffering in some aspect of life. If you do not apply yourself to something, you'll drift on the ocean of life never accomplishing anything purposeful that serves mankind.

If you put God first you'll be fine; If you put photography first your screwed.

Zen
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively
    I'm here at my office on an internet photography forum when I should be working--if that tells you anything
    I know exactly what you mean, at my workplace it's all too easy to flick the screen to the Internet Explorer inbetween serving customers!

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    ...but try using 'commitment' and it sounds better....I know I sometimes drive them to distraction and I think I do behave a bit selfishly.
    Yes, definitely a much better word, but funny you mention 'selfish'. I believe selfishness has a very large part to play in obsession, but don't worry I'm as guilty as the next person for this!

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    Cate
    (p.s. yes, it's me).
    Ah ha! Thought as much, I knew I recognised that piano keys image!

Zen
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    ...You'll spend time/money on them where it should go to things more important.
    Remember tho that there must be balance or again you can experience pain and suffering in some aspect of life. If you do not apply yourself to something, you'll drift on the ocean of life never accomplishing anything purposeful that serves mankind.
    An interesting and deep comment here, I do agree balance is extremely important - one has to experience good and bad, the highs and the lows, to appreciate anything to its fullest. But then maybe the obsession is the fuel to pursue and enjoy a hobby or interest like this? And I kind of hope that one day this fuel will enable me to really accomplish something worthwile...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    But don't forget that one mans enlightenment is anothers you're-still-lurking-in-the-shadows'. A healthy obsession is a good way to learn (for me anyway). Keeping it healthy is just a matter of balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Dear Bruce,

Thank'ee, she's much better. We've just come back from a 2-week shooting trip to Portugal, via the spas at Llo and St. Thomas. ..
    Sounds like a good trip Roger. It wasn't a castles and cathedrals trip all in two weeks was it? Wondering did you get to the fishing village Nazaré by any chance?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Many times I wish my eyes and mind could alone be the camera and take all of the shots I see as I go through life.

Unfortunately, that will never be the case - so I use those images to inform myself of what I hope I will see when my camera is to my eye.

My love of photography is not an "obsession" - is a desire to be a "constant observer".

But man, if you could tell me how to turn my "mind's eye" into a camera I'd - heck - I don't know what I'd do!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    I tried staying away from photography for several years, but I got pulled back in with even more intensity! There is an unparalleled feeling you get when capturing a moment in time knowing that, with a little luck, will survive for years to come. That "frozen moment" may someday be the only glimpse of the past people might have. Combine this feeling with the joy of owning and admiring the amazingly technological masterpieces that cameras are, and you have a formula for obession.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always saw photography as more of an extension of how I viewed the world already, I only have a few big memories from when I was little and they're all of sunsets and trees and light through windows. I guess I'm still to be turned insane by it, but so far it makes me smile at the world a little more, and that's the job of a photographer I guess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Obsession, never, we are sane people in a mad World.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenzanonBen
    So is this a road to insanity thinking about photography too much?
    Oh yes , it IS !! All amateur photogs are gaga. Insanity, that is even a basic condition, you see ?!
    Who else would spend so much time and money for so many mediocre photos nobody had asked for ?? Go on thinking and shooting,this sort insanity is sooo relaxing !

Bertram
    A la recherche du temps perdu: www. bersac.de

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin