Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,432   Online: 874

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    CGross
    It is nice to see there are so many trying to define why photography is all-consuming. Some of you seem to have a grasp on it. For me, I don't think I could find one word that would truly define photography. I took a very long hiatus and as soon as the shutter clicked 8 months ago, I was bit, again

However, it is defined, I can say for sure that there is nothing like it. And, yes, it's on my mind all day, unless I'm in the bosses office getting in trouble for surfing Photo sites!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only time I'm concerned is when I'm driving. Somehow, attention to traffic conditions, and evaluating light, colour and the layout of the land just don't mix well :rolleyes: .

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Matt, you are right. Quite a few times I've been driving and seen a possible interesting shot, lingered too long on it and clipped the kerb. It worries my wife if she's with me.

Getting back to the original question, it's not good to so obsessive to the point where photography, or any other hobby, completely takes over your life leaving no space for any other interests.

[for now] Arizona, U. S. A. [near future?] "Land of Enchantment"[NM]
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    [COLOR=Purple]Photography--an obsession? You betcha!!! Only because, for me, I have had a life-long desire to take photos with a GOOD quality camera [not an instamatic!]--as in the case of my Minolta. Right now, tho in my life, I've got to "set aside" my camera--for awhile, until I develop a routine of my college studies.[/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I rationalise its safer, not cheaper than drugs.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ferris Bueller hits the nail on the head for me too. Also, if you're not getting anywhere with your photography, just go for a walk or do some cooking or something -don't try and force it,use the Force.We all hit blocks from time to time but you just have to be calm and take your time.........listen to that bacon sizzling!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, North America, Third Rock From The Sun....
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill
    I rationalise its safer, not cheaper than drugs.
    That's about right!
    It's also more productive too!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...

"Photography is an act of Life" - Maine 2006

Shooter
    35mm
    To me photography was too important to try to support myself by doing it.

I wished to do what I wanted, when I wanted etc and not to be bothered by what others wanted from me and my photography.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    "Road to insanity or enlightenment? "

You need to understand that someone's mixed up the road-signs . If you follow the route to Enlightenment you will without doubt end up insane and you'll fail to recognise that fact until its too late. Only if you recognise the possibility and potential usefulness of insanity, and are prepared to flirt with its outskirts, can you ever reach enlightenment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    To me photography was too important to try to support myself by doing it.

I wished to do what I wanted, when I wanted etc and not to be bothered by what others wanted from me and my photography.

Absolutely!

That's why I don't do portraits on demand or weddings. I don't enjoy it and I want to shoot what I want to shoot. I also consider it a passion and not an obsession although I do on occasion get obsessed about a particular architects' buildings that are located miles away from me! (Yes, the big reason I want to take my son to Disneyland in L.A. is to photograph the Disney Concert Hall)

Sometimes I think we need to get a bit obsessed about photography in order to really push ourselves to click the shutter. I know not everybody works that way but I seem to take better images when I'm in really deep with my subject matter almost to the point of obsession.

The enlightenment comes for me when I'm printing the negative.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin