Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,934   Posts: 1,557,029   Online: 1214

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Zen
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Photography obsession - Road to insanity or enlightenment?

I've often wondered about this myself as I quite happily admit I'm photography obsessed. I think about it most of the time, probably everyday of the week, always thinking about the shots I could get, the things I could try, the places I could go, and just dreaming about being out with the camera being able to make a living from the pictures I could sell. When not thinking about it I'm enjoying actually taking photos and the various things attached to photography.

So is this a road to insanity thinking about photography too much? Don't get me wrong, I do have many other interests and enjoy practicing them. I just wonder how healthy an obsession can be?

I often say 'I didn't choose photography, it chose me'. So how do others feel about photography being obsessive, does it take over your life? Your thoughts please...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Ben,

Yeah, it takes over your life -- but it's better than working for a living.

I started as an amateur in 1966; first worked professionally in the early-to-mid 70s; and have been a freelance photographer/writer for the last 25 years.

What is important is to leave space for other things that matter to you too. I've seen too many photographers' marriages break up. Of course I'm lucky: Frances took up photography in self-defence.

Cheers,

Roger (www.roagerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I often think about photographing, and I'm always looking for opportunities, but I have never had one overwhelming obsession that displaced all other interests. I still think about going hiking, canoeing (sp?), photographing, drawing, caving, reading, going to museums, and all the other things I enjoy. I've always been that way, and I've always wondered how people could have one specific interest that apparently excluded all others, so I can't say if it is a good thing or not. I suppose it all depends on whether you are satisfied with your life or not. If you are happy with the way things are in your life, then I would venture to say that all is well, if not, then you have your answer.

- Randy

Zen
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh I'd certainly stress that I have numerous interests and enjoy them as well. But it's almost as if photography is unintentionally, subconsciously, there in the background, all the time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It is! Even without a camera i find myself composing, thinking about camera angles, lighting, grain ect..
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Enlightenment, of course.

<wibble>
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - William Blake

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Not so much enlightenment, more like illumination. Or at least exposure.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenzanonBen
    ...it's almost as if photography is unintentionally, subconsciously, there in the background, all the time.
    I understand more about your question now. When I started photographing I saw the aspects of photography that I understood more easily, and the more I learn about seeing photographicaly, the more I find my vision in general changing. Similar things happened when I was learning about biology, I saw the plants and animals that I had learned about and they made the world a richer place than before. My vision is not exclusively 'photographic', but photography certainly has done it's part in expanding my vision.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Its enlightened insanity.

PE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin