Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,054   Online: 947

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Trying to combine my two primary interests has always been a dilemma for me.

Besides photography, I am an avid bicyclist. The former requires carrying tons of gear to do it the way I want to do. The latter requires travelling as "light" as possible.

When I am "shooting" I'm wishing I was on my bicycle. When I'm on my bike I see a million photos I would like to take but cannot because I don't want to stop riding!

This dilemma is the square I cannot fit in the circle of my life and it's bugged me for years!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am absolutely terrified of allowing myself any other interest besides photography. I have spent so much of my retirement on photography that I don't dare find something else that requires equipment or something expensive to buy. I tend to overdo everything. Now, I'm not saying I'm obsessive compulsive but I'm definitely an addictive and pefectionist personality as any of my family and friends will tell you. So I have to rein it in. (wow, I sound awful as I read this, I may need therapy).
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Larson
    I am absolutely terrified of allowing myself any other interest besides photography. I have spent so much of my retirement on photography that I don't dare find something else that requires equipment or something expensive to buy. I tend to overdo everything. Now, I'm not saying I'm obsessive compulsive but I'm definitely an addictive and pefectionist personality as any of my family and friends will tell you. So I have to rein it in. (wow, I sound awful as I read this, I may need therapy).
    No Gay, you're just like so many of us out here.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to do a lot of caving and carried a 35mm camera in an ammo box into most every cave I've visited. I also carried a 35mm with me on my dirt bike when I was puttering all over the woods back home. This one got on the cover of a national caving newsletter so I'm rightly proud of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails descent-into-the-ladies-room.jpg  
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas
    I used to do a lot of caving and carried a 35mm camera in an ammo box into most every cave I've visited. I also carried a 35mm with me on my dirt bike when I was puttering all over the woods back home. This one got on the cover of a national caving newsletter so I'm rightly proud of it.
    Gary,

Congrats on the publication. As a caver and cave photographer, perhaps you might know, or know of my friend Peter Jones. Peter did the latest shoot of Carlsbad Caverns for the NP service. He shot this a few years ago, it was the first shoot of the Caverns in I believe Peter said something like 50 years. I gave Peter assistance on using a large format camera (in this case a Crown Graphic) for part of the shoot. Peter is actually doing 2 cave photography workshops at the Caverns this summer.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenzanonBen
    For me it's travel. I just couldn't imagine not going on a day out or on holiday without at least one camera.
    That is a passion of mine as well. I also like to write about my experiences (although I'm not very good at it).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With me at this point they are one and the same, especially since I have supplied Stock images and now attempt to make a living selling my images primarily through Art Shows. My interests have been in Landscape as well as Nature and Wildlife. From this and out of necessity I have gained an interest in observing birds and wildlife (which is also part of my education) as well as hiking and short distance backpacking. But though these trips and day adventures may appear from the outside as fun or vacation, they are in fact for the purpose of taking photographs.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I generally do not like taking pictures with people in but I have done some shots for websites and promotional literature for my musician friends and have enjoyed getting the scene right and setting up lighting etc. I don't think I would want to do it to a greater extent than this though - certainly not professionally.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm an avid shooter. While I don't often combine the two types of shooting, the skills I have learned from building long range rifles (machining skills) are really useful for camera repairs. The tools I have for gunsmithing (11"X4' lathe with milling attachment, needle files, drill press, etc. etc.) are often used for camera repairs.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1
    Gary,

Congrats on the publication. As a caver and cave photographer, perhaps you might know, or know of my friend Peter Jones. Peter did the latest shoot of Carlsbad Caverns for the NP service. He shot this a few years ago, it was the first shoot of the Caverns in I believe Peter said something like 50 years. I gave Peter assistance on using a large format camera (in this case a Crown Graphic) for part of the shoot. Peter is actually doing 2 cave photography workshops at the Caverns this summer.

Rich
    Thanks! This has been years ago and I'm out of the caving scene for health and safety reasons though I'd love to be on another expedition. I don't know Peter but the caving community is quite large so it's not surprising. I'd love to see some LF cave shots, that has to be the epitome of difficult! I've been wanting to try it myself one day. Are any of these shots online?
    Gary Beasley

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin