Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,850   Online: 887

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is an easy one!
    The reason there's so much water in my nature stuff, is because when I'm not shooting, I'm fishing!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas
    Thanks! This has been years ago and I'm out of the caving scene for health and safety reasons though I'd love to be on another expedition. I don't know Peter but the caving community is quite large so it's not surprising. I'd love to see some LF cave shots, that has to be the epitome of difficult! I've been wanting to try it myself one day. Are any of these shots online?
    Hi Gary,

I know that Peter had real problems using the Crown Graphic, he had the original screen and he had problems focusing. He also shot in 35mm and digital. Paul C. Buff loaned the lighting equipment for the shoot. It was quite a task to light such a large area. Peter published an article in I believe Photo Techniques as well some other articles. Both he and Carlsbad Caverns have images and the rights to them.

Peter is a long time caver, cave photographer and potter. In fact I met Peter some years ago at an Art Show in Marco Island, FL. I gave Peter as much guidance as I could at the show before he went to do the photos. He did make an acknowledgement in the article (s). We have now been friends for some years. Unfortunately we only get to see each other occasionally particularly at Art Shows. But he put me up for part of a week this past June.

Below is Peter's website info; obviously you are interested in the caving and not the potting. I am not sure how much is large format, 35mm, or digital:

www.pjcaver.com

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I used to race bicycles. Now I work coaching people to ride on the Velodrome here in Manc. UK. I wish I could ride but CFS has curtailed that. However, I do get to snap a few Olympic champions and the like - but usually off the bike.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1
    Hi Gary,

Below is Peter's website info; obviously you are interested in the caving and not the potting. I am not sure how much is large format, 35mm, or digital:

www.pjcaver.com

Rich
    Cool site. Reminds me of the publication I have a copy of, Lechuguilla Jewel of the Underground. Similar high quality pictures in an extremely alien environment.
    Gary Beasley

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham
    Trying to combine my two primary interests has always been a dilemma for me.

Besides photography, I am an avid bicyclist. The former requires carrying tons of gear to do it the way I want to do. The latter requires travelling as "light" as possible.

When I am "shooting" I'm wishing I was on my bicycle. When I'm on my bike I see a million photos I would like to take but cannot because I don't want to stop riding!

This dilemma is the square I cannot fit in the circle of my life and it's bugged me for years!
    Have you tried carrying an old 6x9 folder?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I must be missing something here. What else do you photograph, other than the things that interest you?

Some things make very boring pictures (such as range shooting) but you can make some really nice still lifes with guns and a portrait of a lifelong shooter with a gun often makes sense.

Switching completely, there are Land Rovers: yes, I've photographed Land Rover racing (I don't race myself) and my own LR off road in Eastern Europe, Portugal and elsewhere.

Similarly with motorcycles. I've recently done a module on photography and motorcycling for both Motorcycle Touring in Europe (www.mctie.com) and the Photo School at www.rogerandfrances.com, but Karl (the web-master) doesn't seem to have put it up yet.

Then there's food. Actually I've done this commercially, shooting (and writing) cookbooks.

Come to that, I even put cameras in still lifes: take a look at the galleries on www.rogerandfrances.com.

But most of all, for me, there's travel. A friend of mine used to say that if he couldn't take his camera, he wouldn't bother travelling. I wouldn't go that far but I can't readily imagine NOT taking a camera with me when I travel. In the last 12 months I've been to China, Spain (twice), Portugal, Britain (England & Scotland) and Florida, and I'm expecting to go to Germany at least once, maybe twice, in the next couple of months.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Large Format
    I love driving the backroads and 4X4 trails of Utah and Neveda in my Jeep with my kids and a 4x5.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most of my interests came before photography and led into it; nature, hiking, camping...generally exploring, travel. My job takes me to some unusual places and the cameras come too!

What really takes up my time is my family...and they dont get spared either!

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    Have you tried carrying an old 6x9 folder?
    Or even a sharp lil point and shoot (contax t4) in the jersey pocket.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having degrees in structural engineering and historic preservation, my photography usually gravitates towards old buildings and bridges.

Being an avid hiker/backpacker, I have quite a bit of landscape work as well.

Using old view cameras got me into woodworking, to repair what I had and make what I didn't.

As a kid I was fascinated by trains, so I have a lot of photos of those too. Train bridges? I must have a thousand photos of them.

Having been raised by a father who worked in the defense industry I also gravitated towards military subjects. Fortifications? Not as many photos as of train bridges, but not far off either.

All of this led to a love of history and travel. I don't worry about what clothes to bring on vacation. I fret over which tripod, what lenses and how much film is "enough" without being "too much."

Mix? Entangle is probably a better word.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin