Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,952   Posts: 1,522,740   Online: 939

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker
    That is fine, I don't have a problem with what you do, and I hope you don't care what I do, .....
    ...for the most part, what I do, don't affect you or any other photographer at all, just me and my clients. I have been doing it the same way, in which was taught to me many years ago, at the school and workshops I attended, my model works for me, thats all there really is to it..

It is interesting how you say you don't care about what anybody else does, and how you expect everybody else not to care about what you do; but despite all of that indifference you say you have, you still bother hitting a key and posting a message in this forum.
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by don sigl
    Too bad you're probably not the guy who shot my parents wedding (1955). I'd love to have those negatives.
    I would have had to have been quite a prodigy - I was born in 1956

When I was about 8, and my brother was 5, my Dad arranged to have a portrait taken of my brother and I by a friend who had a long established wedding and portrait studio. A very nice colour portrait resulted, and an 8x10 of same assumed the position of honour on top of my grandparents' TV.

About 15-18 years later, my Dad's friend had sold the studio, and I knew the new owner, and did a bit of work for him. By this time my grandparents' 8x10 was badly faded (but still in a place of honour). I managed to persuade the new owner to let me borrow the old negative of my brother and me. I took it down to my pro lab (ABC Photocolour) and had them do another 8x10. A new print, with fine colour resulted, and it took the place of honour on my grandmother's TV (my grandfather had passed away shortly before).

The negative went back to the studio's file.

The funniest part of the entire transaction was when I picked up the 8x10 - the staff at ABC asked if it was a photo of my kids

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Petzi
    It is interesting how you say you don't care about what anybody else does, and how you expect everybody else not to care about what you do; but despite all of that indifference you say you have, you still bother hitting a key and posting a message in this forum.
    Petzi,

Are you just a controvercial individual by nature, I have seen you do this exact thing to many others on here..

A person asked a question, I posted my thoughts, it was you guys that said you had a problem with the way I do business, so I told you I don't care what you think about the way I conduct business and believe me, I am not trying to argue with you. and yes, I have actually hit the submit key many thousand of times on here, when people ask opinions or questions about my products, in addition to when a fellow photographer is looking for information about how others do things..

I don't see what the big deal is.

Have a great day, or evening, what ever it may be where you are from.

Dave

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Dave, it is impossible to post here often without getting into some controversy of some kind with someone. There are hundreds of readers, and among them there is always someone who will take offense at something you said, or not said, or at the words you used, or at the tone in which they think you delivered your message (even though they never heard a tone), or at the attitude you have, or at whatever they find in your message of which they believe it is meant to offend them, or at whatever they freely interpret into your message.
    Last edited by Petzi; 08-09-2006 at 07:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm sure this will stir up a lot of hate mail, but personally, I don't think any of you should keep any of the negatives, period. The idea that you should be the keepers of someones personal archives is well... ludicrous. The fact that you maintain them for future profit is... more realistic.

It is my opinion that this retail trend where people are repeatedly charged for access to their images is ethically wrong. I'm sure all of you would vehemently disagree, but I don't consider most wedding or standard portrait work stock photo material. How you feel you have a right to treat them as such is beyond me.
    This is not hate mail, as I don't hate you nor anyone else. But I must take exception to your charge that I, or any other photographer, is unethical because we do not part with our own copyrighted material. I have 28 years' worth of negatives in my archives; some are portraits, some are weddings, and many are photos of ballet performances, which is a large part of my professional work. I go to great lengths to maintain them all under archival conditions. I have never thrown away any negatives from a professional shoot. Far from "ludicrous," I consider that I am performing a valuable service for my past clients. Although not many clients do come back to me for prints after years have passed, some do, and I am able to provide them for a resonable price. Yes, I charge for that service, and I see nothing unethical about doing so. After all, they are my property, and I have gone to the trouble and expense to maintain them in archival condition. Is this not a service worth recompense?

No, I do not consider these negatives stock material. I do not reproduce nor sell them as stock without a written model release from the clients. Personally, I resent your charge of unethical conduct, and I feel that you owe your fellow photographers on this website an apology.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm sure this will stir up a lot of hate mail, but personally, I don't think any of you should keep any of the negatives, period. The idea that you should be the keepers of someones personal archives is well... ludicrous. The fact that you maintain them for future profit is... more realistic.
    What is this guy, some kind of TROLL? That's ridiculous! Check out standard policies at the ASMPs website. No self-respecting photographer would EVER part with their originals - unless paid INCREDIBLY well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Married 24 years... our wedding photographer was a friend of the family who shot nice medium format photos that I was very happy with...

One 16x20 portrait (which I'm sure he farmed out) has since started to fade from UV exposure. I've been contemplating contacting him in order to have another print done. It would be a huge disappointment to find out he dumped our negs, without offering us the chance to acquire them...

Lets think about being decent folks...not just business acquaintances...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyk49
    Married 24 years... our wedding photographer was a friend of the family who shot nice medium format photos that I was very happy with...

One 16x20 portrait (which I'm sure he farmed out) has since started to fade from UV exposure. I've been contemplating contacting him in order to have another print done. It would be a huge disappointment to find out he dumped our negs, without offering us the chance to acquire them...

I don't understand this, as long as everything is spelled out, which any photographer who is working should do, why does it come down to decent or business?, in the last 15+ years I have taken over 2000 weddings, with and average of 15 rolls each of 35mm film and that don't include the Medium format shots, now lets see, that is 1,080,000 exposures, just on weddings, that does not include commercial, stock or just personal pictures I have taken, why woud I want to or need to store those images for this amount of time? If it is spelled out, talked about and agreed on before hand, I don't see what the problem is, some of you guys seem to have a really emotional attachment because you have taken pictures...working as a photographer, it is nothing more than a product, and anyone who expects a photographer to keep his/her negatives into infinity is really asking alot, I am sorry, it really comes down to how you structure your business, and again, I have never had a problem, people understand the terms of my contracts and when I contact them, I run about a 40% rate of people that actually want the negatives, unfortunately, I run about a 60% rate of people who are not even married anymore! Again, I am sorry, but I don't do weddings for friends, I learned that a long time ago, so my wedding clients are my business aquaintences, nothing more nothing less, they get everything they contract for and most times more, but if they want to archive and preserve the day, it is their responsibility..

Man, amazing!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by joeyk49
    decent folks wouldn't get upset when they come looking for something they haven't even bothered to pay for only to find it's not there any more... nor would they expect you to still be carrying the cost

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton
    nor would they expect you to still be carrying the cost
    Oh yeah, that cost of filing some negs on a shelf... We have to be aware of that...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin