Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,698   Posts: 1,549,114   Online: 1123

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Too committed?

I gave up color a few years ago and maybe do a couple of things a year in color. People call all the time and want something done in color. If I can't convince them to go B&W I say, sorry.

To me it's like someone asking me if I want a cigarette. The answer is NO. I don't smoke.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also, if you had accepted the assignment - and it was successful - you would then become associated with that new version of your work and be pulled in that direction for future assignments - away from where you want to be.
    Easy for me to say, but sure think you did the right thing.
    bart

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dorothy, you made good decesion. Do not bend your sail agains the wind.

www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Aristotelis,

It's not just a matter of principle.

I know what I can do well. Suppose someone asks me to do something I don't do, or in which I don't have as much experience as I would like. I then have to guess whether I can do it, based on what I already know and have done, or whether I'll do a job *I'm* not happy with -- because if I'm not happy, there's an excuse for them not to be happy.

Which is one reason that one of the last commissions I turned down (a while back -- I've not sought photographic commissions in years) was 3 weeks' architecture in Saudi Arabia... Still wondering about that one, too.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Like asking a good podiatrist to perform brain surgery. Thanks but no thanks. Been there done that. What surprises me is how some of these folks get to be "art director" and have no understanding of the most basic of concepts about impact.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    hi dorothy --

sometimes the hard choices make us rethink who we are, what we do and where we want to go.

it is a tough choice to let a potential client walk, but it is equally hard to do something you are not comfortable with.

good luck!

john

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    What surprises me is how some of these folks get to be "art director" and have no understanding of the most basic of concepts about impact.
    I've been trying to figure out for close on three decades exactly what art directors DO understand.

Cheers,

R

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My vote for whatever it is worth is that you absolutly did the right thing Dorothy.

Regards,
    Bill
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    Like asking a good podiatrist to perform brain surgery. Thanks but no thanks. Been there done that. What surprises me is how some of these folks get to be "art director" and have no understanding of the most basic of concepts about impact.
    I hope the podiatrist gave you a good discount considering what was the final result!

I also agree that you did the right thing Dorothy. to completly change gears in your style would not allow you to produce your best work.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It might have been tempting at the time, but chances are you'd have regretted doing it later.
    I'd also bet there's a good chance they'll come looking for you when they have a job to be done in black and white.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin