Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,005   Online: 760

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213

Shooter
    35mm RF
    [QUOTE=Ed Sukach]
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Recently I gave my aunt a print I made from an internegative of a 4" x 5" color transparency taken by an Army Photographer in England, ca. ~ 1943, where she was an Army Nurse.
    It'll have to be a Kodachrome, as the only alternative would have been Agfa, not readily obtainable in the UK at the time for obvious reasons. I'm pretty sure that colour processes such as Lumiere Autochrome were extinct, and Ektachrome was a post-war introduction (1946) based on 1936 Agfa patents. I have a few Kodachromes from the 40s, from 35mm to quarter-plate; they have survived astonishingly well.

The Oxford Companion to the Photograph tells the same story I did about the Capa shots (it's not one of the bits I wrote); it was the only quick, easy reference I had to hand, but it is far from the first place I read it. A quick web search turns up the same story too, including the Imperial War Museum site (who add that only 11 pictures survived) so I fear your memory must be momentarily at fault.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tonality. But for some photographs bokeh, and for some details in shades and sometimes details in highlight. It depend of the photograph, and is not always the same think.

www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    According to all that I have ever read, his film was damaged in processing (by being dried too hot). Far from 'saving' the pictures, the darkroom tech was the one who damaged them -- even to the point destroying many or most of them, rendering them unprintable.
    I seem to remember reading that the Life darkroom technician responsible for drying those negatives was Larry Burrows...

Lachlan

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    I thought he used a Contax.
    I seem to remember his autobiography saying he went ashore with two Contaxes, and maybe a Rollei. Can't find the book right now to check.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most of my work basically centres around recording information, via air photos, archaeological site photography and artefact recording, so resolution and accurate lens drawing is my priority. I can see why Roger and others hated Tech Pan, but you will now see why I love it (and panic bought a whole freezer full when it was discontinued). I am photographer enough to recognise, admire and even envy the artistry in the work of more creative photographers, but if one of my pictures is also impactful, or aesthetic it's just a bonus, however, if I can see the very texture of a soil in a site photo, then I have done my job.

David.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft View Post
    Most of my work basically centres around recording information, via air photos, archaeological site photography and artefact recording, so resolution and accurate lens drawing is my priority. I can see why Roger and others hated Tech Pan, but you will now see why I love it (and panic bought a whole freezer full when it was discontinued). I am photographer enough to recognise, admire and even envy the artistry in the work of more creative photographers, but if one of my pictures is also impactful, or aesthetic it's just a bonus, however, if I can see the very texture of a soil in a site photo, then I have done my job.

David.
    Dear David,

Point well taken!

Cheers,

R.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin