Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,808   Online: 688

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 610111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    That covers a lot of bases or was it basises [basisi, basisium ?]

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If something has an audience who consider it to be art then it's art (at least for that particular audience). If something has an audience who consider it to be 'fine art' then it's fine art (again, for that particular audience). If that something happens to be a photograph then it's a fine art photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by iandavid View Post
    Not so. It is possible to talk in relatively concrete terms about our reactions to a specific piece or body of work, whether we like it, etc, without ever once trying to define what "fine art" means or whether the work comes within that description.
    Sure.
    But you're taking the concepts away. Trying to avoid them.
    Yet you said "the most worthwhile discussions about art generally relate to specific pieces or bodies of work"
    And that's what i responded too.

And the response stands: the concepts are still the same [etc.].

So yes: So.

Re the OP's question, I do not think that it is possible to give any useful definition of what constitutes fine art. Almost everyone defines it differently - I can call anything I want "fine art". You may disagree with my choice, but so what? Who are the art terminology police?
    Yes, but i can call anything anything i like, and defend my choices by saying "so what? who are the [fill in whatever you like] police?"
    Where would that leave us?

This section of APUG goes under the heading of "Ethics and philosophy".
    It should be a given then that participants do care, and not shrug discussion with "so what"s and "who is going to force me"s.

Nobody is going to twist your arm.
    And "so what" is not very on topic, unless you can say also why "so what", and be prepared to discuss that.

Anyway, if we don't try, we cannot, no.
    So let's try.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    To me art is about practicing. There is, to me, craftsmanship involved. Any photographer that purposely go out of their way to create, convey, or speak something; who works hard in a darkroom to present a print that wholly is in unison with their vision and appreciation of the subject matter is an artist in my opinion. It's about the practice, about the purpose. Anybody can make a pretty picture. That's not art. The effort is. The effort to stand in front of your materials and try to make the best possible print you can. Whether it's to anybody else' liking or not is indifferent. That's opinion and a wholly subjective matter.
    That would imply that everything done taking great effort would be art.
    Is that so?
    Is art only art when it is the result of blood sweat and tears? Do artist have to suffer to be able to produce art?

I don't believe that for one moment.
    And i have taken great effort, gone all the way, exhausted myself to arrive at that conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    And I think I agree with Jason that reproductions don't count, no matter how good they are. Seriously, the hard work of the artist is diluted that way. Sure, it helps more people appreciate it, but it is only reproduction of the original art work. A copy.
    I think you two are confusing a work of art with art.
    Last edited by Q.G.; 06-19-2009 at 08:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yikes!
    The Wikimonster takes yet another victim!

A long time ago, people thought that what was true was what someone who knew said was true.
    A bit later, someone said it had to be in accordance with the world to be true. Adaequatio ad rem, and all that.
    Later still, it was changed to "true is what conforms to observation in most cases". Truth became a statistical matter.
    We apparantly left that stage behind us, and moved on from "most cases count" to "most votes count".
    A Wiki is an example of that, with an aditional clause, saying that the access to internet and time to spend editing wikis adds to veracity.

A Wikipedia article as a reference?
    Fy on you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The content of the Wikipedia link is just another illustration of the fact that there is no universally accepted definition of the term "fine art". It means different things to different people, and is, at least in the context of photography, essentially a marketing term. For that purpose the Wiki reference is perfectly legitimate.
    Last edited by Ian David; 06-20-2009 at 12:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What makes a fine art photograph?

Homo sapiens sapiens.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    QG - in your second last post you appear to have ascribed someone else's comment to me...
    So i did. My apologies!
    It was a copy and paste thing, with the wrong info on the clipboard. Very sloppy of me. Sorry!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The content of the Wikipedia link is just another illustration of the fact that [...]
    If you assume that what is in a Wikipedia is something to consider seriously, yes.

But however it may be with Wikis, we do not have a universally accepted definition for most of our concepts. What, say, "freedom" would be differs from (sub-) culture to (sub-) culture, from person to person even.
    Doesn't stop anyone talking about it, writing books about it, holding believes about it, longing for it, fighting for it, etc. Nor, of course should it.

And why would it be a problem anyway?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    What makes a fine art photograph?
    That is a fine question indeed.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin