Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,112   Online: 867

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    For what it's worth, I sell selected prints on my site, but I don't refer to them as fine art, but rather as the work of a craftsman. Fine art has, for me, always been one of those terms that sounded a bit ostentatious. I tend to pay less attention to terms like this and see art as simply art, or not.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I call myself a Fine Art Photographer and sell what I call Fine Art Photographs in part due to the fact that I participate in so many Art Shows (gallery representation hopefully to come). I put a tremendous amount of care in composition, lighting, and exposure with my transparency work which is taken to the nth degree through printing onto a Chromira machine with my Printer, Bill Nordstrom (Laser Light Photographics). The final work is displayed in custom made wooden frames that compliment or contrast the images.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Fine art is what real or aspiring artists talk about and try to define when they are not actively doing what they think that they do.

Discussing it and attempting to define it is like trying to put legs on a snake.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thefizz
    To me a properly prduced FB print could be classed as Fine Art but not something printed in my local 1 hour shop?
    I think 'Fine Art' sometimes gets a bit mixed up with the term 'Fine Printing' which is used to mean archival printing; the two can be connected but needn't be. In fact I'm sure it's possible to produce fine art - certainly art - printed in almost any process/media.

I think it depends on the kind of photography you do and what it's prime purpose is, aswell as how it's produced (I've now confused myself about the last bit). I don't think photography such as documentary, travel or portraiture is always so easy to categorise as art, or 'fine art' , though they can certainly become so.

For myself my photographic interests are mainly portraits and still life & more recently landscapes. I don't personally call any of it fine art (though I've had commissions and sold a couple of prints after an exhibition & all were archivally printed). Come to think of it I don't call it art either though I have no objections at all to other people doing so . If I finally get some of my still lifes or landscapes onto a website I might offer 'fine art prints' because it sounds good. Or I might just leave it out.
    Cate

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    its a marketing tool used by galleries and so called "fine artists"
    so they can charge what they want for what they want to sell...
    And its an unfortunate circumstance that claiming the "Fine Art" moniker is a necessary evil of selling or exhibiting. Many of the hoiti toi only pay attention to "fine art".
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find the term 'Fine Art Photography' a little pretentious, and agree with Cate and others about the distinction between art and craft. Often the photographer's description of why they call their work 'Fine Art' seems to have more to do with craft than art. But it is their right to call their work whatever they want.

One of the distinct, magical qualities of photography that attracts me is that it is capable of being mechanically reproduced at low cost and good quality. I like its proletarian nature, in contrast to the more aristocratic fine art. I have nothing against the aristocracy or people who make non-reproducible photographs, and this is not inverted snobbery, it's just that I feel like a proletarian at heart.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure the phrase 'Fine Art Photographer" has any positive connotations or associations anymore, if it ever did. I think that if something is truly art, it will be obvious that it really is such, and conversely, labelling something 'art' doesn't make it art.
    It'd be a lot easier and less controversial just to ask the question "What is art?"
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley
    And its an unfortunate circumstance that claiming the "Fine Art" moniker is a necessary evil of selling or exhibiting. Many of the hoiti toi only pay attention to "fine art".
    and alex

you forgot to mention that a "fine art photographer" never ADMITS that s/he had and exhibition in a café or bistro because the "fine art photography gallery" will never show work exhibited by a "café/bistro artist" ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When people ask me what I do I have several choices. I can just tell them I'm a photographer. But they never seem satisfied with that and ask if I shoot weddings, etc. I have replied by saying that I'm a "landscape photographer" and then people ask me if there's a good living to be made in photographing gardens. So out of the desire not to call myself an "art photographer" or "fine art photographer" I tell them a far more detailed and lengthy description of what I do. Like," I travel around and shoot B&W photos of landscapes and scenes and then make prints which get sold in galleries" which still sounds pretentious and then they ask me if I own the galleries. I guess if I did they could then generalize me as a "gallery owner".

Simple fact of the matter is that if you make your living by selling prints or "art" that no matter what you say, short of not saying anything, it's bound to sound pretentious to someone. Using the term "art photographer" doesn't work well either because most people seem to think that anything to do with art is BS or that it's just a hobby of mine. I guess I'm stuck with the long answer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    and alex

you forgot to mention that a "fine art photographer" never ADMITS that s/he had and exhibition in a café or bistro because the "fine art photography gallery" will never show work exhibited by a "café/bistro artist" ...

Didn't know about that caveat John. Thanks. I'll certainly keep it in mind if I should ever have a chance at the Wichita Art Museum.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin