Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,078   Online: 783

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebarry
    not much of anything yet....but you havent seen any of it....so whatcha gettin at?
    Just trying to see what your opinion of your own work is. I've looked at your work, and it looks good to me - I would call it "art", and I hope you do as well.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Just trying to see what your opinion of your own work is. I've looked at your work, and it looks good to me - I would call it "art", and I hope you do as well.
    its drastically different from what most here seem to consider art though.
    steve barry
    my stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    I don't think that defines it well enough.
    You are absolutely right, and I have tried to reword my previous post to make more sense!

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can see what you're getting at.

its drastically different from what most here seem to consider art though.
    OK enough teasing Steve. Jump in, the water's warm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    all im sayin, is when talking about art photographers, you cant compare the "fine art photographer" examples given in this thread to say : evans, weston, freidlander, bullock, shore, eggleston, etc. can you?

i am no arbiter of what is and is not art, just saying....most things labeled "fine art" these days, i would not consider art. for the most part. if that makes sense.
    steve barry
    my stuff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Rather a dense collection of cryptic statements here!
    lots of egos here.
    On APUG, or in the art world? And is this good or bad? A certain amount of self-belief and self-assertion is essential if you are going to present work to the world.
    very few people understand art.
    Artists in general have the aim of making their art as understandable and accessible as possible (as opposed to critics, who mainly want to mystify everything and justify their own existence). Presumably the "very few" includes yourself?
    any real artist can take a great photo, but few photographers make "art".
    No and yes - lack of skills training is a major handicap for a photographic artist - you need to understand how the camera sees, be quick in operating your camera if necessary and understand how to manipulate the medium to make it say what you want it to say. Yes, few photographers produce art - it's too easy to be sidetracked by photographic technology, and dealing with the emotional journey of becoming an artist is more than most photographers can handle.
    evreything gets called "art" today....the breakdown of authority....everyone is an artist, musician, journalist, writer, critic, etc. on the internet.
    Automatic deference to authority was that great mindset that brought us the Holocaust, the Vietnam war, etc., so three cheers that it has broken down. Yes, everyone can be an artist, musician, journalist, writer, critic, etc. today on the Internet - but to be GOOD, you need the same qualities that were always necessary!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Any definition you choose can be shown to be incomplete. The artist doesn't even have to make the piece, cf. Duchamps' famous 'R. Mutt' urinal. Or it can be made in a substantially identical series: etchings, silk-screens and, yes, photo prints. And as I said earlier, and as has been illustrated by several others, the separation between 'fine' and 'applied' art just didn't exist until comparatively recently.

In particular, most of the great painters of religious scenes and portraitists before 1700 (arguably before 1800) were producing 'applied art', to an agreed theme, often with specified (and highly formalized) content, for a specific purpose, at the behest of a paying patron. The same is true of ikon painters and thangka painters today. What they produce may be great art, that anyone would be proud to have on his wall, but the term 'fine art' is substantially meaningless in that context.

The Romantic Movement of the mid-to-late 18th century was to a large extent responsible for the concept of the Artist, complete with garrets, drugs, etc; the Tortured Genius was a still later invention.

If people buy your work to hang on the wall, you're probably a Fine Artist, or at least, you've produced Fine Art, regardless of what people call you or why you first created it. As for what you call yourself or your work, I hesitate to label anything I have ever done as Fine Art, even when someone has bought a picture to hang on their wall, simply because the term has been so devalued in the 20th century.

There are all kinds of reasons for this, commercial, political, educational and more, but it strikes me as an odd subject to get excited about.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it's important to remember there's a difference between what's meant by 'Photography as a Fine Art' and 'Fine Art Photography' as it is used as a marketing tool (which is how it's been raised here). It seems to me they mean different things, not only in terms of subject matter and intention/presence of the "artist", but also in the way the work is finally produced - so for example 'Fine Art Photography' becomes a way of saying processed by the photographer in a certain way, (which is not true necessarily of photography as fine art) aswell as having very individual imput from the photographer.

Language, and meanings, change. The irony is that if it's true that everybody really is using this term to describe their work, regardless of what kind of work it is, (I don't know if that's happenning or not, but was the suggestion) then eventually it becomes pretty meaningless - it encompasses everything that is done with care, by an individual, and is probably processed by hand as a 'one-off'. However, that's not to say people shouldn't use it, or that it's not an important way for the potential customer to tell they may be getting something a little different from the high-street photographer/ lab.

Cate
    Last edited by catem; 09-14-2006 at 07:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I used to work for a large company, I quickly realized that whenever upper management issued an announcement saying "We have no plans at this time to reduce our workforce", that really meant within two weeks there would be a significant lay-off of workers. I get the same feeling whenever I hear the phrase 'Fine Art Photography'
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not getting into this one, but you may find some hints here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine_art_photography
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin