Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,942   Posts: 1,557,591   Online: 1227

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    I have photographed numerous buskers. Rather than interupt them to ask I find it is easier to catch their eye and with a raised eyebrow show them the camera. In every case I have received a nod in reply, got my shot and as a courtesy dropped a quid or two in their hat.

As someone who has taken photographs of buskers and had my photograph taken whilst busking, I would say that is probably the best way.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith
    As someone who has taken photographs of buskers and had my photograph taken whilst busking, I would say that is probably the best way.

Steve.
    Far and away the best way of doing it. But then, two-way courtesy usually is.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm in the US, so the rules might be different, but I've found that countries that generally follow English Common Law have somewhat similar rules. The general rule is that one does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy when out in public. The other general rule is that one can photogaph whatever one can see from a place that person can legally be, such as a public street. This is for editorial purposes, of course. If you are taking a photograph for advertising, that gets into different rules.

Thanks for teaching me a new word - busker. What a wonderful one.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot street a lot, and while it is my right take a candid and all, I generally make an effort to ask in some fashion or other depending on the situation. In this case I would just made eye contact and gestured with my camera that I was going to take a picture without really interrupting his performance. It depends on the situation so YMMV.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    35mm
    I think it's important to distinguish between what's legally permitted and what's polite. My understanding is that, in most countries, it's legal to take photos of people without their permission, although using those photos commercially may require a model release. What's polite is another matter, and is largely a matter of opinion. My opinion is that asking permission, at least when it's possible, would be polite.

To add my own anecdote to the mix, a couple of weeks ago I was out wandering around town with my camera. I'd taken one shot on that walk, a photo of a gully, with no houses in sight. Some time later a guy in a pickup truck pulls up and starts asking me questions, starting with "where do you live." At first I thought he was asking for directions, but then he came out with "why were you taking pictures of my house?" The guy was quite confrontational and insisted I'd photographed his house, although he hadn't even been there at the time -- he was going on the word of his wife. I explained that photography was my hobby, that I had not photographed his house, etc. He persisted and eventually asked for my name, at which point I walked away. Fortunately he didn't pursue me, but it was certainly a nerve-wracking experience. Unfortunately, he probably believes that I did photograph his house and is worried that I'm a burglar, if not worse. Call it self-perpetuating paranoia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    I think it's important to distinguish between what's legally permitted and what's polite.
    Me too. I don't suppose the gentleman asked if you'd like for him to favor you with a tune, eh?

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    define buskers please, i think i know but would like to have a correct definition.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've busked all over Europe myself. Most buskers I know (and me too) just like a tip for the picture. Especially if they think you're a tourist. They're selling the music, but also the quaint notion of a person on the street, doing something picturesque and somewhat outdated. Know what I mean? It's like someone stopping by, listening to the tune, tapping their toe, clapping when it's over, saying "good job mate" and walking away without dropping some coin. It's not illegal, but it's not nice either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    define buskers please, i think i know but would like to have a correct definition.
    Hi Ann, this is a busker.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Busker? anemosity? quid? .357? What language are you people speaking!!?

Serious question: What is your 15mm lens and how do you like it? I've been drooling over the 15mm at cameraquest.com for my Bessa R3A. Finally settled on the snapshot 25mm, but I may have to reconsider.

Thanks,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin