Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,111   Online: 1070

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is Art?

Shooter
    35mm
    Art is that guy who used to play with Paul Simon.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    In germany art is called kunst, in sweden konst, and in most europeans countries i think it is something the same. And kunst is from the german word kunen (to know)

So from the begining art is meant to be somthing that artist have great knowledge in.

great knowledge in photography, painting, building cars etc.

Everything if done right and with great knowledge is art. And not so much how things look. Thats my view on it anyways.

Cheers Johannes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Beats the living daylights out of me. Mr. Art Liem asserts that it is great to be Art, perhaps he can explain what he means by that.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Art is that guy who used to play with Paul Simon.
    nope it is that guy on Apug who runs around Toronto and Connecticut with a bright yellow Hblad taking beautiful photos of beautiful women...

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I think I shall follow Laurie Andersons dictum; " Art is a virus, some people get it, some people don't."
    She: What do you do for a living?
    Me: I take pictures.
    She: Oh, you're a photographer.
    Me: No,... I'm an art thief. :)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Art is gone. In a time when anything can be Art: a urinal basin on a pedestal; a light switch in an empty room; a cow sliced in half and pickled in formaldehyde; a bunch of bricks laid in a certain pattern... If anything can be art, then everything is art, and if everything is art then art has no unique meaning, and if art has no meaning then it does not exist. QED.

All that is left is a bunch of rich people shuffling stuff around between them at auction houses...

BTW, "Art" is much the same word in English, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese etc. "Art" however has a similar root meaning to "Kunst", coming from the Latin "Ars" meaning skill or craft.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Art is subjective and undefinable. It depends on your prespective and what you want it to be. For a Dr. the bodily functions and chemistry there in are an art form. For the farmer it is the artistic ability to produce viable products to consume. For the artist it is what ever they say it is. For the critic, it is what they personally think it is. For the rest of us, it is what is told to us. Who really knows exactly? And who really cares. If I make something that pleases me, then I"M happy. To hell with definitions by someone elses terms.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Damned if I know, but I know it if I see it.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    Damned if I know, but I know it if I see it.
    John,

I am not sure if I know it when I see it, but I know what I like.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Goros
    Karen Roeeder MFA (Master in Fine Art) from US asked similar question on internet (she asked on one forum how I know is one particular photograph art?). Beside MFA she is B. in Biology too, and she say she is top photographer also. Now came car-repairers, hear-dressers, pro-boxers, …, as camera owners, to quarrel around who will make “better” definition. Not to belittle anyone, but this is very similar as one ask question what is Law, and if he “figure it out” now he is a lawyer.
    Art is a word before just anything. Many cultures does not have such word within their language, but still people there make artworks. Michelangelo or Durer was not that much concerned with meaning of that word as photographers are. They just did it, and other ask around what is it they did with a hope they will make the same (or similar).
    If you want to know more about activities bonded around such word, the best advice is find a book “History of art”, from H. Janson, 5th edition or earlier (there is 6th and 7th edd. too).
    Not to be bad in you eye, art is extraordinary work, work done by a guy named artist a guy who has a spider-net on his as*. Gear is work done by engineer. Fire is quenched by firefighter.
    Find a way to measure quality of work done by hand, and you will find answer on you question.

www.Leica-R.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin