Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,556   Online: 1110

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is Art?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You mean aside from a Chinese guy in Connecticut who posts on APUG?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Art is 100% subjective.

I don't think much else really can be said about it...
    Richard

siorai.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The meanings of a word are the uses to which people put it. As such, most words have multiple meanings, and these meanings can differ from person to person. Furthermore, there is no "correct" usage, at least according to my friend who writes dictionaries, as people can use words in any way they'd like. If enough native speakers use a word in a certain way, dictionaries will be updated to include that meaning.

In spite of these different meanings, there needs to be some common understanding, or communication wouldn't get very far. In any case, the meanings of words aren't clearly defined or set in stone. As Wittgenstein would have said, they don't have definitions but rather family relations of definitions, some of which have no direct connection to each other. So 'art' can mean 'deep understanding' (the classical Greek definition), or a knack, or an object made purely for aesthetic enjoyment, or ... It's meanings are legion.

My advice is to stop worring about it, do what you like, and let the salespeople worry about categorization.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    My advice is to stop worrying about it, do what you like, and let the salespeople worry about categorization.
    Sounds good to me.

As far as I can tell ... "Art" as I know it - or don't know it - is undefinable.

I remember long discussions over the exact composition of light - "particle" or "wave"; electricity; hah! "gravity - all more of less concrete and nowhere as "vaporous" as life, love, aesthetics - joy, ... or any number of human emotions.

Possiblly, wrestling with "electricity" is an exercise providing a useful guide: no one KNOWS what the hell it is; most will concede that is DOES exist; we can use it by predicting its effect ... I don't know what it is, but if I flip this little lever on the wall, something else that I cannot define - light - will happen.

So - back to "art". Whatever it is, I enjoy doing it more than not doing it. Occcasionally I'll discover someone - I describe them as "Kindred Souls" who experience the works - whatever they are - with the same emotional effect as I have.

I'll still wonder about "what it is" - but I would much rather "do" than let that wonder hold me back.

- And - how do I "spell check" these messages?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just one think more
    you have to put your hand work into the object to produce arwork. So how you will do it with photograph your problem.

www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What is Art?

I am not in a position to define it but in one of Joseph Campbells books, I can't remember the title, it give a very enlightening definition. He takes most of his definition from Joyce's book "Portrait of an Artist as a young man". If I can recall the title I'll post it as it is quite interesting and inspiring.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What is Art

Found the book title " Its Pathways to Bliss" by Joseph Campbell...quite an informative and interesting read.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    35mm
    whatever you want or allow it to be.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin