Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,526   Posts: 1,572,361   Online: 1045

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Identification

Shooter
    35mm

Identification

Is there any type of identification that makes one look more "legitimate" and less like some dork just wandering around taking photos of everything? A press pass certainly does this, but what do those of us not connected to the press do? Does more gear make you look more serious, or is it more about how you carry and conduct yourself?

Oh yeah - not calling anyone a dork but me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I just do it anyway. I'll worry about appearances when someone asks.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In what context to you want to look "legitimate"?

If you're doing ordinary "street" or "tourist" shooting - why would you need some kind of "official" ID?

If you are following "first responders" to disaster scenes or "covering" forest fires and the like such that you're likely to get "underfoot" unless you have some credibility - then, yes, it would be helpful to show you are something more that a "gawker" out for a thrill.

Short answer is: Depends on the time, place and circumstance.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Don't you watch films? All you need is a piece of card with the word 'PRESS' pushed into the ribbon on your hat! (Speed graphic optional).

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photographer's vest and blue jeans. Look sloppy and you'll look just like a real, working photojournalist. I know.
    juan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sometimes you are better off looking like a dork. When you look like a pro, they stop you, question you and in some places want money from you to photograph at the location. Here in Tulsa, we have some beautiful parks and garden centers and if they think you are a pro, you pay big bucks!
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I just stick the 70-200 2.8 on the camera and away i go
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Put on about 20 pounds, stop shaving and get a photogs vest. Oh and slop some food on shirt.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just be honest and don't lie. Carrying a homemade ID card could get you arrested. Here in NM the State Police issue official press credentials, though I've noticed some here just using their own company issued ones. I had one a long time ago. It probably varies from place to place as to who issues them and how you qualify. Yesterday I got full run of a protest after talking to the officer in charge. He actually came to me before, asking who I was with.

Doug

I find that walking around with an open trench coat, with nothing on underneath, seems to draw people's eyes away from the camera.

I'm not saying it works for everyone, but it sure has helped me meet and photograph some interesting people.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin