Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,904   Posts: 1,584,593   Online: 914

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I am uncomfortable about using the word "analog" for film photography. Analog while is not digital but the term some how related to an electronic process. The term was use in "Analog Computer", "Analog Audio" etc...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peeps: it is not compulsory to use the term "analog(ue) photography". No one passed a law. I never use it: it's usually "traditional" or "wet" to me. The A in APUG is just a snappy, shorthand thing... No need for such angst: use what term you feel fits - (Angstful Photography User Group anyone? )

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    Peeps: it is not compulsory to use the term "analog(ue) photography". No one passed a law. I never use it: it's usually "traditional" or "wet" to me. The A in APUG is just a snappy, shorthand thing... No need for such angst: use what term you feel fits - (Angstful Photography User Group anyone? )

Cheers, Bob.
    I rarely use the word, I typically use "traditional". Also, we are far from the only people who associate traditional photography with 'analog', just google "analog photography" minus apug.org (to keep our site out of it) and you'll get 1/4million hits or more of people using the phrase. I think "analog" is basically becoming general slang for non-digital..

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    that would can everyone who uses platinum or other various techniques.. not to mention nearly every name you can think of is already registered (even tpug, spug, etc) this is why after 3 days of trying to work out a name that encompasses everything traditional I settled with apug so we could get a site going..
    Just joking, thought it made for a silly acronym.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    [CODE]if (photo != digital)
    switch (user_sings)
    {
    case GOD_SAVE_THE_QUEEN : analogue(58);
    break;
    case STAR_SPANGLED_BANNER : analog(58);
    }
    [/CODE]
    Forgot something:
    enum anthem {GOD_SAVE_THE_QUEEN, STAR_SPANGLED_BANNER} user_sings;

Anyways, would scanning a negative after it's processed be analog photography?

Shooter
    8x10 Format

analog definition

Thanks to everyone,
    I'm trying to get ideas for a class and catalog definition. Now I'm sure I'll be able to patch one together that covers all (most) bases. You folks are just a bunch of brainiacs!
    Jack

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I am uncomfortable about using the word "analog" for film photography. Analog while is not digital but the term some how related to an electronic process. The term was use in "Analog Computer", "Analog Audio" etc...
    Au Contraire...

The Edison wax cylinder recorder is an analog recording device that involved turning a crank to move a needle laterally across a circular wax-coated cylinder while sound vibrations captured and amplified by a cone excited a magnet attached to a recording needled that carved a groove into the wax. On playback the groove vibrates the needle and the needle's vibrations are amplifed on their way back out of the cone.

Unless the presence of the magnet qualifies as "electronic," then I disagree with you. One might say that the reaction of silver halides to visible spectrum of light is just as "electronic."

Information that constitutes a recording of natural phenomena such as sound or light, is analog by default unless some conversion to digits takes place between the capturing device and the recording medium.

This site is very accurately described as being dedicated to analog photography. The analog recording of a visual image is what a photo-chemical print is. Other things are analog recordings of a visual image as well.

I think the name is clever, ironic, acurate and fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by reub2000 View Post
    Anyways, would scanning a negative after it's processed be analog photography?
    It would be analog right up to the point of scanning.

I do think that analog does not have to be electronic - just continuous rather than discrete.
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    35mm
    So it then very difficult for one to practice analog photography if one does not do the darkroom work oneself or shoot only transparency. Most labs today digitize the negative before printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    So it then very difficult for one to practice analog photography if one does not do the darkroom work oneself or shoot only transparency. Most labs today digitize the negative before printing.
    If that is the case for you, then yes, it is, by my definition.

But the better labs that are around here don't do it that way and if you want a print, you get a (real) print.

And if in your local area, if you can't or don't want to do your own developing and printing, there are national resources that will do it. One of them is a sponsor of this group, and I have had great luck with (Praus - but for me he is local).

Also, if you have a film negative, that part is analog and if you want to do a digital step such as scanning, you can easily re-scan if you upgrade your scanner or want it drum scanned.
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin