Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,930   Online: 818

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

define analog,please

I'm looking for a concise perhaps one or two sentence definition of analog photography. Dictionaries are not helping me.
    thanks
    Severian, autarch of urth aka jack

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    58? (a little APUG inside joke)

We've had a lot of long and tedious threads from people who like to argue that technically, in an abstract sense, film-based photography is really digital. This may or may not be true, but ultimately that is not the issue, so let's not go down that road again. That's not the fault of your question, Jack, but I'd just like to head off some trouble before it starts.

It's probably better to use an expression like "Traditional Photography." Most of us are using "analog" in this context to describe photography that doesn't use computers, scanners, digital sensors, or digital printers.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not Digital...
    "Nobody is perfect! But even among those that are perfect, some are more perfect than others." Walt Sewell 1947

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I would argue that 'analogue' is not translated, and you can therefore 'see' (or hear) the recording (i.e. audio or visual) without the help of an interpreter - a picture on film can be seen by simply holding it against a light source; you can actually look into the grooves of a record and see the music recorded there, which in turn can be recreated without the help of a converter but with a mechanical device (you can actually listen to a record by letting the tip of a pencil run through the groove).

Ansgar

Shooter
    35mm
    Does your camera produce a roll of film or a bunch of ones and zeros?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the film and the paper has to get "wet" somewhere in the whole process I consider it a traditional process.

Analog is a term that has become equated with anything data related that is non-digital for collecting or storage. So analog in that sense gets applied to non-digital photography or traditional photographic processes.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I do think that the use of the word "analog" for film-based photography is NOT intuitive. And it does seem to arise as a "negative definition" since it is meant to convey the sense: "not digital".

But it is what it is and besides, everyone here is quite comfortable dealing with negatives!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like that "analog photography" is a concept that the brain must take a moment to process. It seems...analogous to the whole process.

I'd also like to point out that analog photography can be perfectly dry. ;-)

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the context of the name of the APUG, analog means methods of producing images that do not rely on electronic digital processing of the image, but do rely on the transmission of light through an aperture of some sort onto a light sensitive material. (Thus painting, for example, is not included, even if a camera oscura is used.) As a general rule, at some point in the process, these processes involve chemical changes to a metal salt resulting from exposure to light.

Shooter
    35mm
    Analog means continuous variable. That is if the density of film varies continuously with exposure then film photography is analog. On the other hand, digital varies in steps. The value of a pixel is either 1 or 2 or 3 or 255 in steps.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin