Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,498   Online: 1120

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Yes. I also read he started photography with his wife's camera when he was assigned by coffee growers as an economist.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    More to the point - why do we immediately assume that pictures of people engaging in physical labor mean that someone must be exploiting them?

The shots I saw can be viewed as celebrating the nobility of work as opposed to the misery of unemployment!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Agree.
    And even if somebody exploits workers, the nobility of work doesn't change.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And if anyone's exploiting them, it's the coffee drinker and not just the corporate executives.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Nobility of work, happiness is relative? Sound like a bunch of confused communists. My perspective is simply that all publicity, advertising, and glamour is our cultural sickness. And we export our sickness to every corner of the world and leave no peoples uncontaminated. Publicity's job is to convince us otherwise mostly through images. We all know the world's actual condition is very stark compared to how it is generally presented. There is little choice for us in our interpretation of the world because to admit folks like the bean pickers are being exploited is to admit we are also being exploited. The same forces that are narrowly defining our needs and interests through the false standard of what is and isn't desirable, are doing the same for the bean pickers although through extensive depravation. The outcome is the same, the narrow definition of needs and interests, which is evident from most of the comments. I find it sad that no one seemingly sees the connections between publicity (PR, advertising, glamour) and the deleterious effect it has on culture, despite what appears within the frame.

CS - sick of the world but happy to be in it.
    Chris Saganich
    http://www.imagebrooklyn.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Saganich View Post
    Nobility of work, happiness is relative? Sound like a bunch of confused communists. My perspective is simply that all publicity, advertising, and glamour is our cultural sickness. And we export our sickness to every corner of the world and leave no peoples uncontaminated. Publicity's job is to convince us otherwise mostly through images. We all know the world's actual condition is very stark compared to how it is generally presented. There is little choice for us in our interpretation of the world because to admit folks like the bean pickers are being exploited is to admit we are also being exploited. The same forces that are narrowly defining our needs and interests through the false standard of what is and isn't desirable, are doing the same for the bean pickers although through extensive depravation. The outcome is the same, the narrow definition of needs and interests, which is evident from most of the comments. I find it sad that no one seemingly sees the connections between publicity (PR, advertising, glamour) and the deleterious effect it has on culture, despite what appears within the frame.

CS - sick of the world but happy to be in it.

Hmmmm....sounds as if someone needs more fiber in his diet and perhaps looser underwear...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with everything you say Chris. But on the other hand I don't know if I care or not. The genie is out of the bottle and things will continue on a certain path. You can fight gloabalism if you desire but I doubt it will matter much in the end.

I'm sure the work I do is exploitive as well, but I can't get too excited about Salgado making a few bucks off well concieved bean picker images. Its all crap in the end anyway, no?

Images
    Only if you eat the image, Stephen. Then it would be crap in the end.

I read their site thoroughly, and it appears that they avoid the middle man and buy from the growers at a "sustainable" price. I am sure they have a few skeletons in their closet but everyone does. I just do not see the exploitation. Could be wrong though.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, here's Illy's statement about the exhibit, and a link to the on-line gallery of photographs;

In Principio, a dramatic photographic journey through the world's coffee-producing countries, was born out of a collaboration between the renowned humanitarian photo journalist Sebastião Salgado and illy, based on their shared interest in improving the economic conditions of the men and women who grow coffee. This photographic collection is a social documentary and a celebration of the customary and ritual gestures, plantations, history and culture of coffee in countries like Brazil, Ethiopia, India and Guatemala, where illy's beans are sourced. "In Principio" is a tale of mankind stories, villages, rituals, landscapes and harmony that will truly touch visitors at illy's "BEAUTY HAS A TASTE" exhibit from September 12 through October 10, 2006.

http://www.beautyhasataste.com/principio/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    bdial's post seems to point out that coming to an event/exhibition by depending only on a POV, without looking further or deeper can sometimes mislead or only be an exercise in self-afirmation, without information.

I am not trying to defend or validate Illy's statement as posted on their site, I know nothing about Illy except that they are a "leader" in the coffee/espresso market. But as a teacher of mine once said (paraphrasing), "You have no right to read between the lines until you can accurately read the lines.
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin