Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,861   Online: 945

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Salgado and Illy Coffee

On Saturday I was wondering through the Time-Warner mall at Columbus circle where I noticed a nice Salgado exhibit of about 20 or so very large prints. On closer examination I realized it all was an advertisment for Illy coffee. I always admired Salgado's work both photographically and politically but this just left me sour.

Chris - complaining about the the inhabitants of the world...again.
    Chris Saganich
    http://www.imagebrooklyn.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Chances are, Salgado is donating the proceeds from the sale of the pictures to some cause, like the hungry and homeless or some animal protection project.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, you gotta feed yourself too. Otherwise no money to do the work you care about and the work you hope will make a difference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Meh. It's a good coffee brand. If they're evil and exploit their workers, you have a point, otherwise it's just life as usual.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I saw the prints also on my way to a Jazz@Lincoln Center concert last week (J@LC is now located in the T-W complex).

They were interesting shots of the coffee growing, harvesting (hand picked) and processing system. Stunning work. Sorry I was in a hurry to make the concert and didn't have more time than just glance at the work.

Sometimes you've got to eat - and if the sponsor corporation is one with a strong sense of corporate social responsibility (which I presume is the case here) it seems like a win-win-win-win for growers, workers, corporate sponsor and artist.

EDIT: FWIW, back in the 1970's HCB himself did a film documentary for New Jersey Public TV promoting NJ as a tourist destination. Check out his bibliography some time.
    Last edited by copake_ham; 09-25-2006 at 02:58 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Add a point for emphasis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I like illy espresso
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    I like illy espresso
    I prefer "Pellini - il buon Caffee". When in Italy I use that advertisment to choose between bars for a quick cup of espresso.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yea, everyone makes the doe-rae-mi. The images just didn't seem to work as PR. It would have been better if the Illy people refrained from adding their idiotic captions. I went to the Illy web and there are some real PR shots, happy, smiling toothless, bean pickers. I didn't notice any happy, toothless, VP's squating in the mud. That would be a fun reality show. Have the executives and the bean pickers and sorters swap places for a month. Thats a show I would watch. Really.

...kavetching from NYC...again
    Chris Saganich
    http://www.imagebrooklyn.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Didn't he start out as an economist for coffee growers? Correct me if I'm wrong, but he picked up a camera to help illustrate reports he compiled for the coffee companies. (or unions) Right??

Perhaps some of those images are early work?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As far as I know, you are correct Mrs. Revy. But I don't know if this is old work as I've not seen it. My guess is new.

And Mr. Chris; why can't a smiling, toothless, bean picker be happy? There's a lot that sucks about being poor and living in some 3rd or 2nd world, but there are plenty of miserable, desperate people squating over fine porcelain toilets. Happy is a relative term.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin