Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,131   Online: 1145

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I remember reading that St. Ansel continued working on one image, felt he got it right after thirty years. I like pyro with a little crackers and cheese. It seems to take the edge off of things.

Another perspective, think of all the people whose greatest concern is what will happen on the next soap. I find this more challenging.

John Powers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    I remember reading that St. Ansel continued working on one image, felt he got it right after thirty years.
    I've read that about "Moonrise Over Hernandez". Someone interviewed a close friend of Adams, and remarked that he seldom "manipulated" his images in printing. I wish I could remeber who was being interviewed, but he gave "Moonrise" as an example; "That image was manipulated like crazy. After years, right up to his death, he never stopped thinking about it and re-printing it with some sort of "new" printing modification."
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Will S View Post
    I just watched the Paul Strand documentary and it was reported by his last wife that he would run down to the darkroom to look at the drying prints six or so times a night. She also said he would call her in to look at what he was doing at just about every stage in the process - fixer, toning, etc.

He also, according to her, laid in his deathbed caressing his prints as if they were long lost children.

When you can do that, I suppose they are perfect.

Best,

Will
    He was an ok printer, but not a great one. I've seen some beautiful prints of his and I've seen dark and dingy overprinted ones. I think his obsessive agonizing for endless hours over a print was more affectatious posturing than application of skill.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, you can end up overworking prints and just fussing and fussing.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin