Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,596   Online: 984

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

When is it enough?

The question being how long do you slave over a print, with the endless permutations of interpretation before you determine it is the best that it can be and a "fine print" or that the negative/subject defy printing?
    I ask as I have a negative of a stunning subject that is about as painful to print as it gets. When I think about reprinting it, as I always find something I could have done better in my latest "final print", I contemplate drinking pyro.
    I know that after a certain point a person should be able to let go and move on and everyones threshold is different.. so what is the threshold out there?
    Am I just suffering from print OCD's? I read in one of Tim Rudmans books not to be afraid of perfection.........so how do you know you are there?
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'd say that you need to step back for a bit. I've been there with prints before and I find that if I just leave it for a week and come back with a fresh mind, it prints a lot easier. Personally, I try not to worry about finding things wrong with my prints - I know that I will always find something - and just set them aside when they make me frustrated.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just watched the Paul Strand documentary and it was reported by his last wife that he would run down to the darkroom to look at the drying prints six or so times a night. She also said he would call her in to look at what he was doing at just about every stage in the process - fixer, toning, etc.

He also, according to her, laid in his deathbed caressing his prints as if they were long lost children.

When you can do that, I suppose they are perfect.

Best,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perfection is nothing to be afraid of. Go ahead and reach for it...It will always alude your grasp. But on occasion, you may brush it with a fingertip.
    Don Sigl
    www.drs-fineartphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm of the opposite persuasion: when I finish a printing session, my prints are OK. It's only a few days later when I come back to them that I find what works and what doesn't. Sometimes I know right on the spot what's wrong and don't have enough time to correct them, but I make a mental note and will re-do the print later. Same thing with negatives: they're kinda fine when I pull them out of the tank, but it takes a while before they sediment and I can see which ones are worth it and which ones aren't.

So stepping back a bit never hurts to reevaluate your gauge.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh ... I don't know just when it is time to move on. My record was 32 prints of a relatively simple scene - a white house surrounded by a browned - something like that - grass lawn in mid-November, taken on a solidly overcast day, and not by me, so I had *no* idea of the time of day. Whoever the photographer was, he did not include an image of a gray card either, something I've learned to do, if there is any indication that color balance may be critical at some time in the future.

That struggle was monumental - no matter what dichro head combination I tried, I could NOT get that house to appear white.... not even close.

With me, I *hate* to "spot". I've been known to make quite a few prints, cleaning and fussing with the negative to avoid spotting. Recently, however, I produced a 16 x 20" print for a local exhibition, here in Ipswich, and instead of the usual re-printing struggle, set out to obliterate *many* white spots. It took a couple of hours - I recalled a number of obscenities I had not used for a while.
    At the exhibition, a friend who knows me asked about how many sheets of paper I had used; my answer, "one - and I 'spotted' for a change." He wouldn't believe me - kept staring at the print, until he finally asked, "Where?"
    As soon as I heard that question... I knew I had been successful.

Getting back to "numbers" - irrespective of spotting, I have burned, dodged, adjusted contrast, cropped hither and yon ... and have never achieved perfection. I've come to realize the bitter truth - You HAVE to stop somewhere. Usually, I'll look over the ten or fifteen prints I've made - and decide that the second or third was the *best* after all.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think if you don't go through the frustration of finding out what doesn't work, then you'll not get to or recognize what does.

kinda like dating..
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I shot one of my best frames in 1992. The first acceptable print was made in 1996. The framed one that's hanging on the wall was made in 2004.

Maybe it's time to give it another try...

Oh - it's in my gallery. The one from Dekamara, Eritrea: "Commercial Bank of".
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Enough

I like that "Its kind of like dating". I've been trying to let it go for awhile as my stock of unpprinted negatives is piling up rapidly.
    My favorite Hamlet quote seems to apply "Tis neither good nor bad but thinking makes is so" so I'll just stop thinking so much......maybe.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it's not working and it's hurting, then go away and try something else rather than getting in a right two and eight. A little less force and a little more of the Force.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin