Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,387   Online: 1045

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What one image can do...

I saw the preview on television this evening for an upcoming film Flags of Our Fathers.

I quote from the article "It examines the power of a single image to affect not only public opinion but also the outcome of a war"

Granted, there's more to the movie than the photograph (politics, government, etc.), but that's not my intent on posting. I'm always amazed and impressed at what one image can do for so many people. In this case, it's about the inspiration that this one particular image has obviously had.

Just wanted to share this film, its topic and my philosophy that the art of photography can speak volumes without a word said.

*edited to say that I'm not particularly a fan of the NYT nor am I promoting the movie, rather the topic and its content (the photograph). So please, no politcal bashing!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Dorothy, when I saw this thread in the Index, that advertisement came immediately to mind. Yes, I saw it too and immediately decided to see the movie when it gets here. So much surrounds that one tiny instant in time, its far too big to describe just the highlights of it. Just the fact that there were two flag raisings and two pictures, one immortal, one forgotten, is a story all in its own.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree with all that you say. Thankful am I that you started this thread.

I am, however, confused. You do specify that I do not bash you politically. This, it seems to me, is a most reasonable request. Therefore, since I am feeling bashfull, I will turn my mind to an altenate form of bashing. This is OK is it not? Do you have any sugesstions to help me out?
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft View Post
    Therefore, since I am feeling bashfull, I will turn my mind to an altenate form of bashing. This is OK is it not? Do you have any sugesstions to help me out?
    Try baseball bat between own eyes :o (just kidding! )
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorothy Blum Cooper View Post
    I saw the preview on television this evening for an upcoming film Flags of Our Fathers.

I quote from the article "It examines the power of a single image to affect not only public opinion but also the outcome of a war"

Granted, there's more to the movie than the photograph (politics, government, etc.), but that's not my intent on posting. I'm always amazed and impressed at what one image can do for so many people. In this case, it's about the inspiration that this one particular image has obviously had.

Just wanted to share this film, its topic and my philosophy that the art of photography can speak volumes without a word said.

*edited to say that I'm not particularly a fan of the NYT nor am I promoting the movie, rather the topic and its content (the photograph). So please, no politcal bashing!

It will be interesting to see how this movie "plays".

And you are correct that it does speak about the ability of a single image to "move". It was in taken in a battle at the last stages of the Pacific War and America was presumably already deeply committed to bringing that war to a "victorious" conclusion.

But the question remained - at what cost?

I think part of the conceit of the film (please look up the definition of "conceit" before responding) is that even in a nation already committed to victory - there were political forces which felt that the individuals in the image could serve a "purpose".

This was because, some of the politcal administration in charge, not knowing that the outcome would ultimately be decided by the nuclear bombings Nagasaki and Hiroshima, felt a need to prepare Americans for a likely very bloody battle for the Japanese mainland.

The nuclear project was highly classified. President Truman and his closest advisors wrestled with the morality of the bombing for a very long time. It was unclear if he would authorize it - and so the American people had to be "primed" to accept the possibiltity of a protracted land war in Japan. The heroic image of the flag raising at Iwo Jima was a key icon to help rally the public if the decision had been to "fight it out on the ground".

In the end, Truman chose to authorize dropping the A-bomb on the premise that the alternative was worse for all.

So today, with the hindsight of 60+ years, the political empasis placed on the Iwo image is now seen for what it, in part was, a fallback position. In case the decision was not to use the bomb then the American public needed to be "prepped" to accept two or three more years of bloody battle.

This isn't politics - this is history. Just as public policy demands alternative approaches today - so it always has. Only a foolish leader thinks there is only one solution!

I believe that the emphasised point is what Eastwood is trying to say with this movie.

As to your comment about not being a "fan" of the NYT - I don't understand why you say that?

Shooter
    35mm
    I am on thin ice here but I am guessing that Dorothy does not completely like NYT. So often in the past, I have found that when one uses the expression of "not being a fan of" it represents, generally, a view of less the wholehearted agreement.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So much surrounds that one tiny instant in time, its far too big to describe just the highlights of it. Just the fact that there were two flag raisings and two pictures, one immortal, one forgotten, is a story all in its own.
    Well said, Alex.

I am, however, confused. You do specify that I do not bash you politically. This, it seems to me, is a most reasonable request. Therefore, since I am feeling bashfull, I will turn my mind to an altenate form of bashing. This is OK is it not? Do you have any sugesstions to help me out?
    Thanks for not 'personally' bashing me Seriously...I simply saw the preview this evening and was impressed at how someone would base an entire movie (much as books have been written) on this one image. It's impressive as hell how one photograph can speak volumes.

As to your comment about not being a "fan" of the NYT - I don't understand why you say that?
    Ok, hear goes. I didn't want to politicize the 'image' aspect of my post (affiliating myself with the NYT). However, it's an institution (the NYT) whose time has come and can quietly go off into the sunset as far as I'm concerned. I saw their article with a decent write up. So, the connection with 'me' and the NYT was made when I shared their link. I'm just not a huge fan. I posted this in the good faith that it would be what it was started to be. The image and the impact of photography and what it has created for others. Maybe I shouldn't have posted my 'opinion' on the NYT. Just didn't want my fellow conservatives to think I was cavin'.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft View Post
    I am on thin ice here but I am guessing that Dorothy does not completely like NYT. So often in the past, I have found that when one uses the expression of "not being a fan of" it represents, generally, a view of less the wholehearted agreement.
    Yeah, I kinda figured that out - just wasn't sure why she needed to bring it up.

The movie, BTW, is apparently good history brought forward. Few folks today realize that the bloodiness of Iwo Jima was very sobering to the powers that be.

While the flag raising was a spectacular image - the cost in deaths and casualties of the battle had been horrible for both sides.

With the next step being advancing on the Japanese mainland, it was this "cost" which weighed heavily on everyone's minds as they began to consider the alternative of dropping the bomb. In the end, it came down to a "body count" calculation - although no one really knew what the final cost of unleashing "the bomb" might be.

Decision wise, these folks were really stuck b/w a rock and a hard place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Call him drunken Ira Hayes, he won't answer anymore,
    Not the whisky-drinking Indian, nor the Marine that went to war..."
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    just wasn't sure why she needed to bring it up.

Hopefully my latest post will enlighten those inquiring minds. Again...my statement was just that. I was 'focusing' on the photograph that the movie was based on. I chose to make a disclaimer. :rolleyes:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin