Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,589   Online: 924

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quality

Shooter
    35mm

Quality

There has been, as I would expect, much usage of the quality used in many different contexts within this orginization. For your thoughtful consideration I am going to provide a definition of quality that I believe goes well beyond photography. This definition as filitered by my memory comes from what I had read. My memory, as is the rest of me is highly imperfect. I do not say that I am making an accurate quote. I do not say that what I read was an accurate quote of was said by the attribution given Here is the quote as filered thru my recollection. Genichi Taguchi: "Quality is the least overall cost to society."

I find this to be a wonderful definition. I have thought about it often. Please give it your thoughtful consideration. A response would be well received.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

When I had my downtown studio with a few staff, my one receptionist/salesperson use to say when asked why the prices are so high: "well this is QUALITY photography". I used to cringe.

I have no idea what the denotative description for quality is but the connotative one today is more like high craftsmanship, high value and usually high price.

Although the one you quote is very good.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You're getting deep into Robert M. Pirsig-area here...

Lila, not motorbikes.

That book is the only serious attempt to define "quality" I've ever seen, but I still don't know what it means. Of course that itself could mean that the book was successful?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I once heard customer service defined as "giving the customer more than he/she expects". I suppose the same could apply to quality.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft View Post
    "Quality is the least overall cost to society.
    Given that our world is an industrial place full of consumers (consumers in all regards, not just in a retail sense), this statement only makes sense if the the word "overall" is defined as being "from cradle to grave". If this is what Mr. Taguchi meant, then I have to agree completely.

It's going to be tough to apply this sort of definition to something like art. When the word "quality" is applied to something as short lived as a retail relationship (for example a photographer who contracts to do a protrait), then I would have to say that doing "quality work" implies giving that customer exactly what they expected to receive for the price that they paid. This is a much different scenario from that which I think Mr. Taguchi was describing.

my $0.02

Shooter
    35mm
    I have thought much about the statement over a period of years. I find it to have a lot of applicability to many facets in life..including art.
    Last edited by Claire Senft; 10-02-2006 at 05:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quality=the amount of attention paid to...
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd say that Quality is the characteristic of providing the greatest return on investment not only in-kind but also of non-like character as well- what we think of as quality not only performs better than similar objects/services directly in the object's/services' function (teakettle that boils faster, holds heat longer, requires less cleaning/maintenance), but also fulfills a non-tangible emotional function as well... the teakettle that we think of as Quality not only does its job well, but makes us feel good about how it does it. It makes us WANT to use it over another tea kettle.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Genichi Taguchi: "Quality is the least overall cost to society."
    In far too many cases, inaction would have the least overall cost to society.

In the case of my hometown, inaction has saved many historical buildings, including one building complex which is now on the UNESCO World Heritage list. But as a definition of "quality", I feel it rather leaves something to be desired.

Restating it as "maximum overall gain to the society" dosn't help either, as with that definition Bryggen would certainly have been demolished in the 1950's.

The big problem of the Taguchi definition is in defining "cost". Combining "cost" with "to society" renders the whole intractable; there are simply too many undefinable quantities.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    There has been, as I would expect, much usage of the quality used in many different contexts within this orginization. For your thoughtful consideration I am going to provide a definition of quality that I believe goes well beyond photography. This definition as filitered by my memory comes from what I had read. My memory, as is the rest of me is highly imperfect. I do not say that I am making an accurate quote. I do not say that what I read was an accurate quote of was said by the attribution given Here is the quote as filered thru my recollection. Genichi Taguchi: "Quality is the least overall cost to society."

I find this to be a wonderful definition. I have thought about it often. Please give it your thoughtful consideration. A response would be well received.
    Quality is someone with over 2600 posts that subscribes to APUG.
    Don Bryant

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin