Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,569   Online: 798

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=copake_ham;372511]

" during a road trip to Australia, "

[QUOTE]

How, pray tell, did you drive to Australia? Was it an amphib-car, or just an example of guys not being inclined to ask for directions. Classic Bugs Bunny, "Should've turned left at Albuquerque"?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Picky, picky, picky....

Actually I meant to say "through Australia" - actually from Adelaide to Sydney via Mebourne (with a lot of side trips).

Sometimes the brain gets ahead of the fingers on the keyboard!

EDIT: One of the last shots I took was at an overlook along the coast a bit south of Sydney. There is a natural rock formation with a "blow hole" such that the waves crash up through it - making a "spout" of water.

I shot the "idyllic" picture of ocean, spout and palm trees etc. and handed my wife the camera. I told her take this, and when people ask you why I never came back, show them the last shot in the camera!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It often happens on vacation that I'll blow through 25-30 rolls of 120 film, kick back with a local beer, and decide I never want to go back to NYC. Then I order a deli sandwich.

The exception to this rule is when visiting foreign countries. The exception to THIS rule is when visiting England.

As for photography versus life, I usually choose life. Occasionally I endanger the latter for the former, though.

I find I view everything through a mental viewfinder. This can be annoying to girlfriends who feel neglected, but has allowed me to appreciate the beauty of nature, even in the middle of an urban metropolis. Sunrises viewed over NYC from Hoboken are unbelievable most mornings and sunsets down the canyons of crosstown streets on hot, humid days or during clearing thunderstorms can be truly poetic. Even when I don't photograph the view, I appreciate it more and more as the years go by.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Photography is the spiritual balm, the salvation from my otherwise painful and excruciating work life. It provides me the reason for maintaining my high-pressure career, and the hope for surviving it. Like many others here, I plan my vacations around it, and I spend much of my free time after work and on weekends doing it. I've actually neglected some of my other pastimes lately, to the point I have a ten-book stack at home that needs reading. I still manage to hit the occasional museum exhibit (Amen and Halleluiah for the Smithsonian and their free exhibits!), catch a movie, and hang out with friends, but the pressed and folded/hung-up laundry pile doesn't always get attended to the way it should. But that's ok, so long as my palladium prints get dry.

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, North America, Third Rock From The Sun....
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Photography is the spiritual balm, the salvation from my otherwise painful and excruciating work life. It provides me the reason for maintaining my high-pressure career, and the hope for surviving it.
    Well said...
    I say more Photogaphy, Less Work!
    Brian
    Surviving another day to make another photograph....
    My "Personal" Photography Website...

"Photography is an act of Life" - Maine 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As for girl, I will choose phoptography. Beside my wife it is my the best friend that never ever did anything wrong to me, and more it always gives me only nice things in my life. I am spending around 8 hours with art photography every day, whole my life, seven days a week. It gives me sense for life, it make me to have my life goal, it gives me oportunuty to create something for me not for other as opposite when working for someone else selling myself. It only gives. Shortly, photography means source of life to me rather then source of living. And thanks to photography I have so nice life that not many on this green planet have.

www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    How, pray tell, did you drive to Australia? Was it an amphib-car, or just an example of guys not being inclined to ask for directions. Classic Bugs Bunny, "Should've turned left at Albuquerque"?
    Could have used one of these: http://www.londonducktours.co.uk/gallery.htm ...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleath View Post
    ... how much do you let photography impact on your life?

Is Photography a factor in your life, or the dominating factor? ...
    I just like to take pretty pictures.

But I'm not addicted.

I can quit anytime.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suppose it's a "dominating factor", in that it helps me choose vacation destinations or how to quickly blow $100 without even trying (I always NEED stuff). I think about it quite a bit, and can get easily sidetracked if I see something I want to photograph. Once I have a new pile of prints, I'll trot them out on the website or participate in an arts festival. It's an active hobby.

That said, I don't carry my camera everywhere or head into the darkroom the minute I get home from work. I keep up with the laundry and prepare meals a few times a week.

But I'm just biding my time until I can quit the rat-race thing, and then I will probably indulge myself with full time photo-craziness. I'll have earned it, though!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My camera is not there to record what I saw with my eyes, but to give everlasting form to the things I see with my mind.

Photography or life? It's like asking whether you can go through life without thinking.... or if thinking, then without ever sharing those thoughts...

I for one, cannot, indeed, go on living without communion w. my fellow man, and to me, that means sharing what it important about Life... and THAT, my friends, is why the camera exists in my life... because a picture is worth a thousand words... and not everyone has the attention span needed to read those words... so, to reach through the veils of intelect to the heart of the feeling self - SHOW ME.

Sense?... Anyone?... Sense? - Buhler?!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin