Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,227   Posts: 1,659,761   Online: 856

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Photography or Life?

This has sorta been floating around my head for a while and may be common, but my question is how much do you let photography impact on your life?
    Is Photography a factor in your life, or the dominating factor? Do you remove yourself from the things you take photos of, or are they things your interact with?
    I realised this when a friend mentioned I almost always had a camera on me somewhere when she saw me, and I decided to leave it home the next time we hung out. Turns out you cant hold a girl's hand and work an SLR at the same time, and I'd choose the girl any day.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For me photography is a very important part of my life. It is not my entire life nor does it control my life but it is in my thoughts every day. It does impact my life because it is a large part of who I am.

Regards,
    Bill
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've never found any one thing that completely pervaded my life. Photography is something that I have done for well over half my life, and I rarely go anywhere without a camera, but the experience is the main thing, and photography is just along for the ride.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dominates my thoughts but does not occupy as much time as I would like in practice. While writing this I am flicking back between work email and instant messaging at 10pm at night trying close the books for the quarter... when there are many rolls of film I could be developing instead!!

As for the girl, always carry your camera... take lots of shots... one day you will look back and be glad you caught that special moment. And if she is really supportive and interested she may just be the one for you....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are two things that predominate my life, my relationship with my wife and my photography. I work on photography on average 12 hours a day 6 days a week. When I travel it's more like 16/7, if my wife is away from home, it's 16/7. Granted we have a lot of friends and family and a very active social life, but that gets squeezed in.

When I was on my honeymoon, I still got up at 5 am to go out and shoot. My wife has come to accept that whenever we travel there's going to be gear, but as I spend about 20 weeks a year away from home shooting, she also understands that if I can also get a few images when we travel together there's less pressure on me to go away alone for long trips. I'm a fortunate guy and whatever success I may achieve in photography owes a great deal to her.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    To slightly misquote Bill Shankly, photography's not a matter of life and death, it's much more important than that.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    To slightly misquote Bill Shankly, photography's not a matter of life and death, it's much more important than that.
    Wonderful "slight misquote" from a truly magical man that just about sums up my obsession with photography.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Groucho Marx was interviewing a couple on his show about 50 years past and he made a remark about them having 6 children. The lady said "well we love our children, Groucho..." and Groucho said "I love my cigar lady, but I take it out of my mouth once in a while!" I think photography adds a fabulous dimension to a persons life. You end up seeing so much more.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photography is not life?

For me photography is a large portion of my life at the moment. Everyone has a means of expressing themselves or their little guilty pleasures, be it drawing, painting, writing, drinking, gambling, mountain bikes, cars, home theatre, hunting, binoculars, sports, etc. To a degree many of these hobbies or habits define who we are, aside from the usual things that could be changed such as habits such as gambling, drinking, drugs, etc, there are things that should not have to be changed.

When I married, my wife understood photography was a passion of mine, and its something to keep in mind that when you comit to someone, you are comitting to what they do as well. True you can 'tweak' here and there, but to remove photography from me right now would be like removing part of me. There is more to existance than to grow, work, breed and die. Without a passion to enrich and express ourselves, can we truely say we're alive?
    Last edited by kb244; 10-03-2006 at 09:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Considering the proportion of my pocket money flow the photography is far far the most dominant part of my life :-) taking money aside, I'd tried not to make pictures, but without success. It is easier to learn how to live with it then try to be without it. It sound as an addiction definition, I’m afraid. Somebody is grafoman, somebody is photoman. So or so, much better then to be a politician, for example.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin