Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,490   Posts: 1,644,814   Online: 961

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've made these kinds of photographs at times - without even needing to use a dark room. In fact, it's very easy with a RF camera - somewhat more difficult with a SLR.

You can duplicate this type of photograph right now.

It's accomplished by tripping the shutter with the lens cap still on!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We must go beyond this amusing trickery and try to reach for the big bucks of high art:

Exhibit one: take a sheet of Ilford MGIV paper, and with the lights turned off, put it in the fixer for the requisite time. Next, tone it in selenium until acceptable. Put on display

Exhibit two: take a sheet of Cibachrome, do the whatever-it-is procedure that follows developer. Put on display.

Exhibit three: take a sheet of RA-4, throw it in blix, do whatever is needed after. Put on display.

You now have a black and white and two color photographs, all of which record not the object itself, but merely its idea. You have reduced photography to its materiality, and went beyond the tyranny of the signifier, binary oppositions, patriarchy, and Western oppression. You have freed art from the misery it had no idea it was in.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Smile & Nod!
    Expletive Deleted!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That brings the question: is he talking about conventionally sensitized film?

I'm sure we could take an IR photograph of a dark room and find "light"? That is, unless he means strictly light in the visible spectrum...

And if that doesn't work, is the room still "dark" if I put an IR source in it, and thus be able to make a photograph, just not see anyhting with the naked eye? Does he mean meerly a blank negative?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This sort of reminds me of the photographer who would set up his camera in a theater, open the shutter at the start of a movie and then close the shutter when the final credit scrolled down the screen. Of course in the photograph the screen was simply blank white. But I remember reading in a book on photography how this was hailed as some kind of a great conceptual idea. I mean how clever. 90 minutes of movie captured on a single piece of paper! And when one thinks about it, it really was quite a clever idea. But you certainly can't go to that well more then one time. But I guess you could do the same with a play, a television show, sporting event etc.

It also brings to mind the minimalist artist Ad Reinhardt ( who someone else mentioned) who painted canvasas solid black. There was some light modulation due to brush strokes and perhaps a little heavier application of black in some areas, but all black is what you got. On its face such work seems to border on the absurd. But a 10'x9' canvas of pure black does make one think about how we define what is art and beauty.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Finally, someone has figured out how to photograph my heart.

Dave, find that guy.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn View Post
    This sort of reminds me of the photographer who would set up his camera in a theater, open the shutter at the start of a movie
    You must be thinking of Hiroshi Sugimoto?? He's a LF black and white master. Though he's doing color work now.

You make it sound gimmicky, but it's all gorgeous work.

His seascapes are wonderful too.

Link: http://www.medienkunstnetz.de/works/theaters/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Conceptualization can be taken past the point of common notions and seem absurd at times but absurtity is sometimes germaine. Conceptualization is one of the intellectual and aesthetic values that distinguishes art from craft. The overlap of art and craft can range from nill to complete, quite legitimately. Sometimes the elevation of something to art is all in the mind and all about context.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can you photograph cold? After all, cold is just the absence of heat.
    Why the hell am I answering this?

Every time I forget to pull the darkslide....
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    Finally, someone has figured out how to photograph my heart. . . .
    And the conceptual artists who get their best ideas with their heads in dark places could borrow the necessary equipment from their proctologist and photograph what they haven't been able to see.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin