Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,515   Online: 1003

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suppose I would dabble with some wet plate or making my own emulsions to satisfy a certain desire to use a hands on craft approach, but for 90% of my images I would simply go digital. Most of what I enjoy doing requires film and paper that provides sharp resolution and a broad tonal scale. While wet plate and hand coating film can produce wonderfull results and I would love to try them, they will never produce the results I want for most of my work..

I suppose the cut off point for me concerns time. I can see where one could spend an enormous amount of time producing emulsions and preparing materials and less and less time actually making images.

I don't think we need to worry about film going away. That has been discussed a million times already. However, when the price gets to be around 1$ per 4x5 shot, finances may force my hand to change to digitial.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
    If you know the right people, the raw materials are not a problem either. Utah is a great state!
    Dear Aggie,

No doubt it is a great state -- but are there many baryta coating plants for paper base, or manufacturers of some of the more arcane sensitizing dyes?

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Coating lines aren't THAT hard to find or operate (that's from someone who operates one, in discussion at Photokina).
    Wanna bet?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post

The difficult bit is raw materials -- and I learned of some interesting trends that will keep those alive too. Unfortunately the information in question is commercially confidential.
    Not to me. So, I say that there are some problems, as I noted in the thread on film quality.

I have details on sources and prices that I had to glean for my emulsion work. I have talked to people directly that supply these chemicals. This stuff is not confidential if you dig enough or know what to dig for.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Wanna bet?

Not to me. So, I say that there are some problems, as I noted in the thread on film quality.

I have details on sources and prices that I had to glean for my emulsion work. I have talked to people directly that supply these chemicals. This stuff is not confidential if you dig enough or know what to dig for.

PE

Dear PE,

What's confidential is who's buying how much of what/selling how much of what and why -- not what's available.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roger, in obtaining the supplies for my work, I often find out as a sidebar the information you refer to. Perhaps we have the same information and perhaps not. I'm not even sure how accurate it is.

In any event a lot of what we both allude to is available for one who looks. Only time will tell us how reliable the information was.

PE

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why would I want to imagine such a thing? And frankly it is more likely that I will be gone in 9 years than that film will.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Aw jeez, here we go again!

It's enough to make me a digi-shooter. Just to avoid this "gloom and doom" yo-yo.

Talk about a topic that belongs in the Soapbox!

Give it a rest; go shoot some film. I burned off a couple of rolls today and no one looked at me weird!

EDIT: BTW, what the hell does this have to do with "Ethics and Philosophy" anyway?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Aw jeez, here we go again!

It's enough to make me a digi-shooter. Just to avoid this "gloom and doom" yo-yo.

Talk about a topic that belongs in the Soapbox!

Give it a rest; go shoot some film. I burned off a couple of rolls today and no one looked at me weird!

EDIT: BTW, what the hell does this have to do with "Ethics and Philosophy" anyway?
    Given that you can still get instamatic film, the death of other emulsions are highly overrated!

I plan on shooting film as long as it is offered - several decades I figure.

If at some point if digital is somehow able to surpass film (isn't anywhere near at this point) then passing of film will not be a sad event. But since they cannot even get the same quality as 35mm from digital - and they have been at it more than 10 years - who knows how long it will be.

I think we have 50-100 years to go!
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would use my camera as a telescope and enjoy the view. I would enjoy photography books and going to galleries and work in graphic design.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by severian View Post
    that the day that you have long dreaded has arrived. April 12 2015. After this day there will be NO MORE FILM.... How do you satisfy your soul? What is your solution?...
    I'll be grateful I learned wetplate in 2005, 10 years before this happened.

My solution will probably still be Lea's Landscape #7 collodion.

Joe

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin