Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,472   Online: 1066

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Imagine if you will....

that the day that you have long dreaded has arrived. April 12 2015. After this day there will be NO MORE FILM. All the manufactureres have thrown in the towel. No one will be selling emulsion recipes and setting up coating plants in India. Hasselblad has been out of the film camera business for years. Ilford b&w division has cried "uncle". No film. No paper. You have examined that digital world and found that it doesn't satisfy your aesthetic demands. "Those digital prints aren't photographs they arenothing but posters". You must make photographs. Those gorgeous b&w prints that you have mortgaged your life in order to perfect. Gone.
    You stand naked in a bleak landscape. How do you escape? How do you satisfy your soul? What is your solution? Show us how creative you will be. Find a way.

Severian, autarch of urth, Jack B, aka Mr. Orwell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very hypothetical. I'm pretty sure film will always be around, though the number of manufacturers will diminish by time, and prices may be a lot higher then they are now. But as long as there are film photographers, there will be film!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    We will Buy film from PE.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm returning to making traditional silver-gelatin prints because I love them, not because I hate digital photography. I will make images one way or another.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What really ticks me off is that you, Jack, as "autarch of urth" would let things come to such a desperate patch! I think it's just a shameless dodge to get us to start thinking about learning to draw and paint and increase the enrollment at the school where you teach. If such terrors do come to pass, PhotoEngineer will become an icon...a folk hero...!! Perhaps you're in cahoots with him, trying to drum up 'learn to coat your own' business (which, btw, is a very good thing!). I'm shocked! Shocked I tell you!! Hrrrrummmph!!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Many beautiful photographs were made in the nineteenth-century before film was an industrial product. I'll just coat my own. I'm already set up to shoot 5x7" and 4x5" glass plates, if need be.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gives me a wee case of the willies to think about. I don't hate digital, just haven't learned it. I suppose, if I must, I will learn it because I can't see not making images. I expect it would actually be quite a task to learn to do it well. Perhaps, that's why I haven't really tried it yet.

Of course, I'd expect to get my pencils and charcoal out and go back to sketching again. I should do that anyway, and I will always use some non-digital means of making art. Think they'll stop making pencils?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ¡ would stop using a camera to record on film but glass+metal instead.
    (i already coat with pre-made silver emulsion ... )
    if silver nirate was no longer available (for the gentleman-scientist),
    i would use the sun plants and water to record on paper.
    i would grow poppies in a window box for my light senesitive-stuffs.
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by severian View Post
    that the day that you have long dreaded has arrived. April 12 2015. After this day there will be NO MORE FILM. All the manufactureres have thrown in the towel. No one will be selling emulsion recipes and setting up coating plants in India. Hasselblad has been out of the film camera business for years. Ilford b&w division has cried "uncle". No film. No paper. You have examined that digital world and found that it doesn't satisfy your aesthetic demands. "Those digital prints aren't photographs they arenothing but posters". You must make photographs. Those gorgeous b&w prints that you have mortgaged your life in order to perfect. Gone.
    You stand naked in a bleak landscape. How do you escape? How do you satisfy your soul? What is your solution? Show us how creative you will be. Find a way.

Severian, autarch of urth, Jack B, aka Mr. Orwell
    I think you're at least a quarter of a century out, and probably more like a century. And by 2115 (a) it's unlikely to be my problem (I'll be 165 years old) and (b) there's a very good chance that even a tiny niche market will be big enough to justify film coating.

Coating lines aren't THAT hard to find or operate (that's from someone who operates one, in discussion at Photokina). The difficult bit is raw materials -- and I learned of some interesting trends that will keep those alive too. Unfortunately the information in question is commercially confidential.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you know the right people, the raw materials are not a problem either. Utah is a great state!
    Non Digital Diva

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin