Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,085   Online: 886

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ayn Rand's POV

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ayn Rand's POV

Food for thought from Ayn Rand, philosopher, from the book "The Ayn Rand Lexicon": A certain type of confusion about the relationship between scientific discoveries and art, leads to a frequently asked question: Is photography an art? The answer is: No. It is a technical, not a creative skill. Art requires a selective re-creation. A camera cannot perform the basic task of painting: a visial conceptualization, ie., the creation of a concrete in terms of abstract essentials. The selection of camera angles, lighting, or lenses is merely a selection of the means to reproduce various aspects of the given, ie., of an existing concrete. There is an artistic element in some photographs, which is the result of such selectivity as the photographer can exercise, and some of them can be very beautiful--but the same artistic element (purposeful selectivity) is present in many utilitarian products: in the better kinds of furniture, dress design, automobiles, packaging, etc. The commercial art work in ads (or posters or postage stamps) is frequently done by real artists and has greater esthetic value than many paintings, but utilitarian objects cannot be classified as works of art.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The answer is: No
    I wouldn't say that is an answer, more like an opinion..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And like many of Rand's opinions...laughable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brYan View Post
    Food for thought from Ayn Rand, philosopher, from the book "The Ayn Rand Lexicon": A certain type of confusion about the relationship between scientific discoveries and art, leads to a frequently asked question: Is photography an art? The answer is: No. It is a technical, not a creative skill. ...
    I disagree - while it is difficult to define art as we have shown since Ayn Rand wrote her stuff (I was a fan in High School, but no longer) I think intent is a key ingredient, and Photographers in many cases have the intent in showing something in an artistic manner. QED. She is wrong.
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    In a few words (and pardon me for being so blunt and succinct, when I naturally tend to run on for pages about these things): Ayn Rand is full of bullshit. EOM.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Before I begin let me say that I am expressing an opinion founded in my personal experience which is a product of education, personal investigation and direct life's experiences.

Having said that, I will go on to say that much of what we like to term as artistic expression in photography is pure and simple illustration. Illustration, as I have come to understand it, has very little to do with artistic expression. Illustration serves primarily to record the existence of something already present in objective reality. Whereas creative artistic expression brings into being something that does not already exist in our conscious awareness.

Now it is not surprising to me that some people, such as myself, who have spent something over two decades engaged in the mistaken belief that I was being creative in my photographic output would want to defend our position...sometimes vehemently and vociferously. But that is purely and simply egotism in it's most dispicable, self limiting, and ruinous form.

Now the question that we may benefit from asking ourselves is this, can photography be used as a technical means to effect a creative manifestation? Yes, I think that it can be. But for most of us it means stepping away from the familiar and redundant watering trough of illustration.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At one point in the history of Fine Arts, many centuries ago, painting and sculpture were not considered Fine Arts. Where as rhetoric and mathematics were.
    Things change.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where is John Galt when we need him?
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tend to agree with The Flying Camera.

In general, I don't take Ayn Rand seriously. This specific instance is just a case of over analyzing a definition.

My photography is not Art, just hacking around. However, I see a lot of it in the Gallery here.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post

Now it is not surprising to me that some people, such as myself, who have spent something over two decades engaged in the mistaken belief that I was being creative in my photographic output would want to defend our position...sometimes vehemently and vociferously. But that is purely and simply egotism in it's most dispicable, self limiting, and ruinous form.
    Sounds to me like you have a few issues to sort through....

Now the question that we may benefit from asking ourselves is this, can photography be used as a technical means to effect a creative manifestation? Yes, I think that it can be. But for most of us it means stepping away from the familiar and redundant watering trough of illustration.
    Why does this even matter, actually? You either do it because you love it, or you don't do it. Why do you need a label to put on it? The label is societal, and has nothing to do with a personal interest ultimately. THERE IS NO HEIRARCHY - all of it is a silly illusion because we are musing on this site AND NOT SHOOTING SOME PICTURES, uh, er, art, uh, er illustrations, uh, uh, uh .... ack!

There is a good movie you should see - "I heard the Mermaid Singing" which is a great film about just this subject - doing what you love. I just hope you won't call the movie "Illustration!"
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin