Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,874   Online: 964

View Poll Results: Is it okay to show Nazi memorabilia here on APUG?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

40 52.63%
  • No

20 26.32%
  • Don't care

16 21.05%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I tend to consider 1-3 reported emails as controversial, 3-5 as borderline and 6-10 as needing to be removed at the wishes of the community. It is extremely rare an image has been reported 6-10 times or more so that to me is an indicator it's just out of place here.
    Wow! Morals, philosophy and ethics by popular demand. At least there wasn't a lynch mob, right? Sorry Sean, you know I've got your back anytime, but you were wrong on this one. It is your site, though.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am sorry that this photo was deleted. I am Jewish and had mixed feelings about it, but I cannot condone censorship unless some real harm was being done. Although they are certainly not things I would collect, my hope is that Greg was not trying to glorify Nazi Germany, but was interested in the artifacts as historical objects. Now we may never know. I was interested to see the Leica camera however. Many people are not aware of the role the Leitz family played in helping Jews leave Germany, often at great risk to themselves. See: http://nemeng.com/leica/005eb.shtml

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Too bad. The Nazis and what they stood for existed, and the potential for it still exists today. It is interesting how some people think hiding something repugnant makes it go away. History revised by popular demand.
    Hiding, ignoring, refusing to apply rigor to the why and wherefore of something. Revisionism and political correctness at work. Oh well. We are good at stuffing atrocities and genocide under the carpet...
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I didn't see the picture in question, but I do question the picture:

What is a "nazi picture"?

In my "accumulation" are among others: A: A glass negative showing the shop window of a jewish merchant in Berlin immediately before "Kristallnacht". The window is cvered with David's stars and swastikas. Would that be a "nazi picture"?

B: I have several lenses made in Germany in the time from 1940 to 1945. Are those "Nazi lenses", and B(2): Would that make pictures shot with on of them "nazi pictures"? What If I use one of those lenses to shoot a picture of another one?

C: I also happen to have an old Mauser bayonet. It has accumulated several stamps and seals, including a Preussian double-eagle, both sides of the Spanish civil war, a "Reichsadler", and a UK War ministry arrow - all this before it ended up in the hands of the Norwegian resistance. Should I post a picture of it?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did not vote in this poll.....

The question to display Nazi items of course is a personal choice, I have very strong feelings about the Nazi's, I had two uncles who spent 18 months and 24 months respectably as their "Guests" I watch the many shows on TV that try to explain why the world had to endure the hatred of the Nazi's, I spent a number of years transcribing one of my uncles thoughts on this subject..I did not get to see the image(s) but I think deleting might be the wrong approach to take, on the other hand, I believe the galleries are for display of the members works, and unless you were there taking the images, I don't know that posting the images taken by others during this bad time in the history of the world..is your right, or duty...

Just my .02

Dave

Images
    The image was a recent still life made of Nazi artifacts. It was not made during the Nazi regime.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    The image was a recent still life made of Nazi artifacts. It was not made during the Nazi regime.
    If that is the case, where a member made his/her own images of the Nazi artifacts then I believe that deletion was the wrong approach to take.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well we decided a while back to use the report functions as a way to give members of the site some degree of content control. What good is it to have a report button that does not work? The option is there as a guage, it then requires me or the mods to mull over the reports and make a final decision. I woke up this am to a full inbox regarding the image. It is definitely a damned if you do damned if you don't call to make.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It´s a very sensitive question for us (not all, obviously) Europeans, we don`t need this crap once again, the world doesn`t need this stupid "ideology".
    It´s a big problem in Europe and becoming bigger, I do hope people look at the past and learn.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/gall/0,,711990,00.html

PS- I`m not saying Greg`s post has something to do with this, I`m just supporting my concerns over the subject in discussion.

Cheers

André
    Last edited by André E.C.; 10-28-2006 at 04:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Well we decided a while back to use the report functions as a way to give members of the site some degree of content control. What good is it to have a report button that does not work? The option is there as a guage, it then requires me or the mods to mull over the reports and make a final decision. I woke up this am to a full inbox regarding the image. It is definitely a damned if you do damned if you don't call to make.
    I do appreciate your position. A very tight spot. While I don't agree in this specific case, I support you, and your responsibilty to take what you think is the right action.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 10-28-2006 at 06:02 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarity

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin