Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,085   Online: 1076

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ZorkiKat View Post
    And how is the photographer supposed to do this? The photograph in this discussion was photographed in America, in what looks to be a time long before Hitler and his perverted gang became known outside of the rowdy Beer Cellars they infested and used a corrupted form of the swastika.
    I agree. I'm not sure if the original symbol was called a swastika, but I know it had absolutely nothing to do with 'intolerance and hate', and is, I believe, thousands of years old. I don't think anyone in America even knew what a nazi was in 1920...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For the same reasons posted in the original post I think the use of symbols in art is extremely useful. In my opinion most good art comes from the use of good symbol/subject interplay.

Symbols allow the view to have a personal interpretation and connection with the image in any way that fits them. The art becomes more of a mirror than a window.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    [QUOTE=Pragmatist;. . . So as a symbol, the "confederate flag" in any form is little more than a statement of systematic oppression, murder, enslavement, and torture of a peoples for economic gain, and the celebration of the plantation economy and mindset. It does not represent anything noble or genteel. It is the banner of a people who had become arrogant, self-righteous, and possessed with a sense of superiority no different than any despot or regime. The fact that the system would have collapsed under its own weight and mechanization within a decade is immaterial. We still experience discrimination and disenfranchisement due to attitudes perpetrated and social conditioning inculcated in an oppressed people today. We could whistle "Dixie" too; you know the lines--"Oh I wish I was in the land of cotton, where old times are not forgotten..."[/QUOTE]

Not many years later the Union flag could have been considered a symbol of the greed that led to brutal oppression and sometimes massacre of the American Indian. Both Confederate and Union flags are, for better or worse, a significant symbol of American history. The German Swastika is both a symbol of the dramatic rebirth of a devastated nation, and of the most diabolical scourge of the past several centuries. In the context of history, these flags are useful symbols of their times. Censoring the symbol is like denying the truth. Flags and other symbols can also be used as a symbol of one's personality. If someone in our time wants to wear the German swastika, I appreciate the warning. We've also used another disquieting symbol, the skull and crossbones, on poison containers.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin