Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,671   Posts: 1,481,798   Online: 1080
      
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 39 of 39
  1. #31
    blansky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Wine country in Northern California
    Posts
    5,029
    In my opinion, it either works one of two ways.

    1. It's all random. You're here, now what.

    2. Reincarnation, it's pre planned. You're here to learn and advance karma-wise. This time you're moderately wealthy, last time you weren't.

    I vote for #2.

    That being said, any form of commune ism doesn't seem to work. Human nature what it is, always wrecks it.

    Indifferent capitalism doesn't work either because all the money eventually controls everything, and we get super rich and super poor.

    So the middle ground is a sort of free enterprise, and try to educate and feed everyone so that they have a shot. The main problem is, and will continue to be, overpopulation.

    A life raft of whatever size can only hold so many people. Some will live and some won't.


    Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

  2. #32
    Bromo33333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    My apologies -- I guess it worked as a 'marketing strategy'. But my point about valuing public (and indeed many private) goods still remains.
    I think that is the difference in "capital" and "income" - if you have a sewer system that functions well, you certianly don't have to build one, freeing up income for other tasks. And if you have had it for 100 years, there is 100 years you haven't had to build it!

    Valuing is very difficult - you need air, but what is the price? You need it to live, so you certainly can't do without it, but it is rather hard (and illegal under most circumstances) to withhold it. But since degradation of it does not result in direct charges, and damage is spread evenly amongst all users of air, pollution is rampant. "Tragety of the Commons"

    There is a political philosophy here in the US "Libertarians" that tend to beleive in minimal government and privatizing everything because private ownership they believe creates the greatest good. Or so they say. Their philosophy stumbles and becomes complicated when dealing with "public goods" like air, though their ideas helped create the Kyoto carbon exchange market...
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

  3. #33
    Bromo33333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Brent,

    It is well known that "W" entered Yale as a result of a special affirmative action program known as "Legacy Admissions"!
    Friend of mine went there. He talked about the Legacy students (not him) - most were "C" students - they called them "Gentleman C's." They weren't too concerned about grades since their family would take care of them when they got out, and Yale didn't dare flunk them or give them bad grades since it could hurt the donor base ....
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    Their philosophy stumbles and becomes complicated when dealing with "public goods" like air, though their ideas helped create the Kyoto carbon exchange market...
    The U.S. has exceeded 15 percent, and that's the worst, according to the report. Japan has exceeded 6 percent or so, and so have a few other countries. The Kyoto thing is almost like a joke.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,957
    Anyway, speaking of the global issue of the unequal distribution of resource(s), has anyone seen the documentary film, "Darwin's Nightmare"?

    It's been out for more than a year at least in the festival market. It shows almost exactly the same thing that we've been discussing here, except for the film's subject which is the fish from Africa that's feeding some of the rich nations.

  6. #36
    copake_ham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NYC or Copake or Tucson
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    4,092
    Images
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker View Post
    Anyway, speaking of the global issue of the unequal distribution of resource(s), has anyone seen the documentary film, "Darwin's Nightmare"?

    It's been out for more than a year at least in the festival market. It shows almost exactly the same thing that we've been discussing here, except for the film's subject which is the fish from Africa that's feeding some of the rich nations.
    Fishermen have travelled throughout the world's seas for hundreds of years in search of catch.

    The original colonial settlement of North America was based on the need for European fishermen to have landfalls upon which to dry and salt their cod catches taken from the Grand Banks and other fisheries back in the 1500's! Those catches fed much of Atlantic and Meditteranean Europe for hundreds of years.

    And, for crying out loud. Whoever said these ocean resources "belong" to any continent? If the Africans want to obtain the catch off their shores let them stop all their damned civil wars and genocides and start maturing as nations!

    Oh, and, BTW, isn't Japan one of the "worst" offenders under your argument? What with hundred mile lengths of long-lines and huge drag nets that sweep the seas of all life in their wake?

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,957
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Fishermen have travelled throughout the world's seas for hundreds of years in search of catch.

    The original colonial settlement of North America was based on the need for European fishermen to have landfalls upon which to dry and salt their cod catches taken from the Grand Banks and other fisheries back in the 1500's! Those catches fed much of Atlantic and Meditteranean Europe for hundreds of years.

    And, for crying out loud. Whoever said these ocean resources "belong" to any continent? If the Africans want to obtain the catch off their shores let them stop all their damned civil wars and genocides and start maturing as nations!

    Oh, and, BTW, isn't Japan one of the "worst" offenders under your argument? What with hundred mile lengths of long-lines and huge drag nets that sweep the seas of all life in their wake?
    http://www.darwinsnightmare.com/darw...l/startset.htm

    Read the outline of the film before you get fired up. It's not about the fishing in the big seas or shores. And the story goes much further that.

    And about the Kyoto protocol agreement, yeah, Japan is one of the worst among several other nations that didn't meet the requirement. And how stupid to name it as "Kyoto" Protocol. That's a shame.

    But for the U.S., it has not been an issue because it didn't sign it.

    But about the fishing territories, I'm not sure, but maybe. Japan has consumed a lot of fishes, but mostly in the last few decades or a little longer because of the "fresh-freezing" technology that came in the 60's or so. That helped the popularity of the raw fish-meat eating habit round the world. Until then, even the Japanese fishermen could travel far, they couldn't bring back the caught fishes as fresh as they wanted.

    But now those jobs are being replaced by the fishermen in the other countries because they have access to better fishing areas and cost less for their labor.

    And please don't even get into the hotter topic such as whale hunting because that's way too off the topic here.

  8. #38
    nick mulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    1,204
    Images
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker View Post
    And please don't even get into the hotter topic such as whale hunting because that's way too off the topic here.
    yep :rolleyes: - but I guess its to be expected in an 'ethics & philosophy' forum
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    726
    If I hadn't bought so many !@*! cameras, the Japanese and Germans would be a lot poorer, that's for sure.

    David.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin