Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,517   Posts: 1,645,495   Online: 1254

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

"if all the worlds resources were shared equally..." (how many cameras would I get?)

Hi,

A bit off topic perhaps, but its a hard topic to search for as the related words tend to be be very common in google.

I'm looking for info relating to any study or discussion regarding the thought experiment which is as follows:

"If all the world resources were shared equally among its occupants, what would we be each left with ?"

I know there is a heap of problems with this, like what is exactly meant by 'resource', and how does one distribute it (like space or perhaps even freedom) and I dont want to get into debate re. all the ins and outs as I'm hoping this has already been done elsewhere on the net and I'd like to have a read.

Anyone found anything recently or otherwise ?

I often sit in my room surrounded by all my stuff and think I am very privileged indeed, and in the grand scheme of things perhaps I'm being a little greedy. Perhaps it would be interesting to neutralize myself and only own what I 'should' ...

Its typical of me to think "ah , crap I'd have to give away my cameras" - (maybe keep one??) when in fact many people die for want of something as simple as water...

excuse the guilt trip, but I better go switch off the wash cycle on my 16mm dev tank... (and get it ready for the next)
    :rolleyes:
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    what's your point?

most us in the 'developed' world don't really care about others

we ocassionally do something like your posting as a way of saying 'oops i do care', but it doesn't change anything, we are still selfish and inconsiderate

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If all the world's resources were shared equally, I doubt that any of us would have a camera. All the work and materials that went into them would probably be used elsewhere. Same thing with chemicals, film, and paper. Who would decide?

Shooter
    35mm
    They tried it. It doesn't work.
    That's just, like, my opinion, man...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Uh uh; I ain't sharing my cameras, no way!

You ever share a camera? Damned thing comes back with scratches and dents and fingerprints on the lenses!

You wanna' "teach the world to shoot" go give them disposables - but Mama, don't you take my camera away!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post

You ever share a camera? Damned thing comes back with scratches and dents and fingerprints on the lenses!
    My friend lost a canon T50 i lent him!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by nick mulder View Post
    "If all the world resources were shared equally among its occupants, what would we be each left with ?"
    I live in a country where many people buy too many things and throw them away in a 2 to 3 year-cycle. I'm talking about anything from used cars, bicycles, TV sets, video games, cameras, and all other stuff that you can imagine of.

It's like the large economic system on diarrhea...

Anyway, many of these thrown-away items are sold to the buyers from certain countries in other parts of the world. So, they are getting distributed worldwide. And maybe some or many unwanted used cameras found here have already in the hands of the people somewhere else.

But the thing is, this is not a healthy cycle and has to be stopped.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bucky Fuller did something similar in the mid-Seventies: He found that if all the wealth in the world (liquid wealth - cash, moola, dollars, pounds, yen) were distributed evenly to every living human on the planet at the time, each would have ten million dollars.

No mention about cameras though...

Joe
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    None. You have enough already! (probably).

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin