Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,178   Online: 768

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kb244 View Post
    Um Guys knock it off with the drama... The most that might happen is US Postal authorities having the package checked out at one of the shipping centers, identifying the substance (like FirePhoto Said, assume worse before anything else, but last thing you need is to go 'hey we might have a bomb, go call the media before we arrive on the scene' or that kind of stupidity), if the substance was deamed hazardous, then the original shipper would either get a fine or arrested (most likely fined), both of which would probably stay out of the media, since there are some chemicals in the US you cannot send, and on top of that in the US anytime you drop something off, its always the same question alone the lines of "anything hazardous, fragile, etc, etc".

The main time it ends up in the media is if a customer is standing around and gets 'excited' and runs off to tell someone (normally these problems are found behind the scene, not out in a line of customers).

Some countries base their policies different than others.
    ]

True. No "Drama" here.. I was just surprised at some of the comments. I sometimes have to disassemble the equipment to remove the parcel and I don't take this lightly.

Maybe I should mind my own business...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by haris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FirePhoto
    I can't speak to the FBI part of the statement, but I'm one of the guys who would show up with the hazmat team. On these calls we have to assume the worst until proven otherwise, else people (including us) can get hurt
    Oh, man...

What happened with "everyone is innocent until proven guilty",
    Sad, sad world...
    Considering this as a reply to FirePhoto's post, I think you're missing the point. Calling in a hazmat team in response to an unknown leaking substance in a package isn't about innocence or guilt; it's about safety. Hazardous materials (hence "hazmat") are shipped all the time, and if you don't know what a substance leaking from a package is, it's simple prudence to assume it's something dangerous. If you don't, and get some on your hands, and it then turns out to be nasty (say, a concentrated acid), you could end up in the hospital. If you assume it's hazardous and call the hazmat team only to discover that it was something harmless (say, orange juice), then you've wasted some money but nobody's gotten hurt. That's a much better mistake to make.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    Considering this as a reply to FirePhoto's post, I think you're missing the point. Calling in a hazmat team in response to an unknown leaking substance in a package isn't about innocence or guilt; it's about safety. Hazardous materials (hence "hazmat") are shipped all the time, and if you don't know what a substance leaking from a package is, it's simple prudence to assume it's something dangerous. If you don't, and get some on your hands, and it then turns out to be nasty (say, a concentrated acid), you could end up in the hospital. If you assume it's hazardous and call the hazmat team only to discover that it was something harmless (say, orange juice), then you've wasted some money but nobody's gotten hurt. That's a much better mistake to make.

Yes, maybe I wrongly understand. It is one thing if some packadge leaking, calling hazmat team to check what is in matter.

It is another thing to send hazmat team to someone address, then putting him/her into troubles before discovering what is leaking from packadge. And this is how I understand previous post(s).

But, again I could misuderstand them.

And at the end, this is of no importance on this forum...

Regards

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by haris View Post
    Yes, maybe I wrongly understand. It is one thing if some packadge leaking, calling hazmat team to check what is in matter.

It is another thing to send hazmat team to someone address, then putting him/her into troubles before discovering what is leaking from packadge. And this is how I understand previous post(s).

But, again I could misuderstand them.

And at the end, this is of no importance on this forum...

Regards
    If I wasn't clear enough in my original post and ignited a shitstorm, I apologize. Hazmat teams don't get sent to people's houses to roust them. If we know people who might have information about the contents of an incident we would contact them and ask for their help in determining the contents to help us solve the problem as efficiently as possible. But not to harrass them.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FirePhoto View Post
    Hazmat teams don't get sent to people's houses to roust them.
    You mean it's not like in the movie Monster Inc? I'm really disappointed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FirePhoto View Post
    If I wasn't clear enough in my original post and ignited a shitstorm, I apologize. Hazmat teams don't get sent to people's houses to roust them. If we know people who might have information about the contents of an incident we would contact them and ask for their help in determining the contents to help us solve the problem as efficiently as possible. But not to harrass them.
    My apologize.

Images
    Hazmat teams are nice folks, a bit on the serious side at first, but I figure they have to be. I got to talk to some when a Package I ordered from a hydroponics store busted after it was dropped by the postal guys. I got a call at work and was asked to come to the post office to "answer a few questions" about a package, since it was addressed to me at the school. A few of the guys went to my classroom to see my garden set up, after I told them about it. They thought it was cool.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Pinhole
    If it were shipped in the US, an MSDS or other statement as to chemical contents would need to be attached to the package, or easily accessible by emergency responders (at least, that's the DOT's requirements...)

Of course, being somewhat familiar with MSDS's, most are written so as to describe how to respond when 55 gallons are spilled, or a person is sheep-dipped in the stuff, not merely how to respond for small spills, so the respond is likely to be over-kill, until they know what they're dealing with.

As for the comments regarding the 'heightened security environment', I understand that Cuban cigars are great, but hard to stay lit while being water-boarded.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's not the hazmat response that is in question but the law enforcement response. They have been evacuating walmarts around here because somebody left an empty shoebox or bag out in the parking lot. They shut down major streets at rush hour and lockdown nearby schools for these "tv dramas" to unfold with news helicopters circling overhead. The whole thing is rediculous. There's just to many "heros" out there with cell phones programmed to dial 911!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nc5p View Post
    It's not the hazmat response that is in question but the law enforcement response. They have been evacuating walmarts around here because somebody left an empty shoebox or bag out in the parking lot. They shut down major streets at rush hour and lockdown nearby schools for these "tv dramas" to unfold with news helicopters circling overhead. The whole thing is rediculous. There's just to many "heros" out there with cell phones programmed to dial 911!
    .... I think I need to leave one of the shoe boxes in the dressing rooms now *Attention K-Mart Shoppers... We're F*@!...
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin