Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,416   Online: 806

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Do I tell a seller he is a fool - or 'I am glad my local Post Office knows me!)

Hi All,

What do you think about telling someone on eBay that they are an idiot?

Got a call this morning at around 8 am, it went something like this;

Hello Brendan - it's ***** from the post office, we have a parcel here for you and its buzzing? OH and its also leaking a smelly liquid. Were you expecting a parcel?

After a bit of chat I determined that the parcel was most likely from an eBay vendor how had sent me some stuff and not packed it correctly - would I come down and get it immediately? - Certainly.

In the car and down to my local post office, only a few minutes drive but I have not had my first cup of coffee yet and still a bit bleary. Get there and there is the parcel - definitely leaking developer and making a buzzing sound.

Open it up and show the staff that it is a darkroom timer that is going off and the half full bottle of developer, advised anyone who had it on their hands to wash it off etc, grabbed the parcel and headed for home.

Got home and checked the contents, most look OK so no real harm done, then I started thinking what might have been - if the local post office staff didn't know me, had made a big production out of it etc. It could have been a real bun fight with media and all, guess I am just lucky.

My question - after all the above is, the timer and developer were 'extras' that the seller included at no charge to fill up the box! Do I tell the guy he is an idiot? say nothing? send him a polite email and thank him for the extras but suggest he work on his packaging technique?

Then what sort of feedback do I leave?

I tell you it has been an interesting start to the day. Have had my coffee as I write this and now can see the funny side.

Regards

Brendan
    [FONT=Ariel]Brendan F Sforcina[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Magpie: adj, of or like a magpie; characterized by the habit of hoarding ascribed to magpies.[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Send him a polite email and thank him for the extras but suggest he work on his packaging technique.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Just feel lucky, if you were in the US, you probably would have the hazmat team and FBI visiting you already.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Send him a polite e-mail and thank him for the extras. No reason to create aggravation on either end by bringing up the packaging technique - unless you buy something else from him later on. Then you should mention it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sleep on it. No use to create a great drama over this, it was well intended but poorly executed. Consider yourself lucky you don't live in the USA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Other than dropping him a polite note, I would not worry about it. Let him know thanks the package arrived and by the way......

If you got the package in a timely manner, I would leave a positive for him, this is not rocket science, and sometimes thinking to much is just as bad as not thinking at all!, the guy sounds like he got the package to you, you got some extras, and a mishap happened along the way...does not sound like he was trying to do anything except be an honest seller.

Then get on with life.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd thank him for the extras, and mention that the developer needed to have special packing, because it leaked in transit. I would also reassure him that no damage was done.

He may have never shipped liquid before. He might appreciate the information.

I would base my feedback on the rest of the transaction.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    I concur with most of the others that you should politely mention the fact that the packaging went awry with the buzzing timer and leaking developer. My reasoning: We all learn by our mistakes (well, most of us), and if the seller doesn't know he made a mistake, he can't learn from it. IMHO, though, there's no point in calling the guy an idiot; that's not likely to accomplish anything helpful. There's also the question of how much of it really was the seller's fault; this could have happened even to a well-packed parcel if it was abused in transit. You'll have to judge for yourself whether it was competently packed to begin with.

As to feedback, I'm not sure. Negative feedback seems a bit harsh, so I'd rule that out. Positive feedback seems a bit unearned -- leaking developer could have damaged the timer, and perhaps whatever else you bought. (OTOH, positive might be reasonable if it looks like it was competently packed but the package was abused in transit.) I might go for neutral, or maybe positive with a comment that it was poorly packed. You might consider perusing the seller's other feedbacks; if you see a pattern of comments about poor packing or something, I'd lean towards a neutral feedback. If the seller hasn't already left you feedback, though, I'd recommend not leaving feedback at all unless you decide to leave positive feedback -- too many sellers would give you a retaliatory negative feedback.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yup, lucky you don't live in the former land of the free, you'd be answering questions under a bright light right now.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vanspaendonck View Post
    Sleep on it. No use to create a great drama over this, it was well intended but poorly executed. Consider yourself lucky you don't live in the USA.
    Er...Excuse me. But since you do not live in the USA - what gives you the basis for saying this?

Let me guess - you read it on the Web - so it MUST be true!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin