Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,245   Online: 727

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Do photographs reflect the motives and reasons why they were taken?
    No. It is quite possible to be taken in completely opposite context from what the photographer saw/meant. The Pulitzer Prize photo by Edie Adams in Viet Nam is a prime example.

Do images fail when the internal and external factors collide?
    All depends on what the definition of failure is.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Thank you, for all of your insightful replies.

Martie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hard to say...guess it's how I 'see' something. Wanting others to 'see' what and how I perceive it. Maybe that's my 'motive'...showing that beauty comes in all sorts of packages.

The Mechanic

Sometimes it's that collision that makes brilliance...the anticipated and expected against the accidental.
    Last edited by Dorothy Blum Cooper; 11-15-2006 at 07:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

I think one would first have to answer the question: When one puts a piece of art out to the public, does it retain the spirit of intent from the artist, or is it now free to be interpreted by the viewer?

Only if we answer that could we say whether or not the motive remains.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    35mm
    Self-reflexivity is one thing that is always there, but if you put certain photos in a position that is totally out of context, I don't know how they will be viewed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MARTIE View Post
    So, we're all photographers but we all motivated by many different things... lets say by both internal and external factors.

So...

Martie
    The answer to both questions is yes AND no, contradictory as that may seem. A photograph, like any work of art, does reflect what the artist intended. The real questions is do we see what the artist intended and did the artist him / herself understand what it was they were trying to say?
    I saw a painting once done by Adolf Hitler before he got into politics. It was a street scene in Paris, I think. No people, no life, no inspiration. Did it reflect what he 'intended'? Some would say yes, it reflected exactly what he intended, for the world. On the other side, can we really know what Van Gogh intended with his own art? I personally would say anyone who says they understand what Van Gogh intended thinks entirely too much of their own ego. We can appreciate Van Gogh, debate his art, discuss it, agree or disagree, but can we ever really know what was in his heart, soul, or mind when he painted anything he ever painted? No. And yet it is there, right in front of us if we could only see it...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Both questions must be answered "sometimes"

Some artists have deliberately manipulated the answers, such as making photographs by anonymous tripwires etc. Some images have been much more 'successful' than intended -- for example, Dirk Halstead's snap of Bill Clinton hugging an intern.

Photography has a tremendous capacity for confounding intent. That's part of its charm.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin