Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,464   Online: 1038

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Where Photography Go?

After all that “manipulators” have left photography and turned other way, and quarreling around internet what is photography, I feel that photography is picking up and stream there where it belongs. Many predictions of demise of photography proved wrong, many restructuring are done as the result of leaving mass production, and back to “normal”. I think that real danger to photography was not digital illustrations and commercial advertising business sake, but that “mass produced guys” that actually never was interested in photography. If we look back why and when photography is invented, who started it, the way it passed up to today, and when it just got over saturated that digi* illustration came to clear the air. I also think that there was no better way for photography.
    Future of photography, as I see, is B&W high quality commercial work and art.

What you think where photography go. Or to avoid a crystal ball, what is photography that you target in future (e.g. personal photography, art photography, macro work, B&W/Color,…).

www.Leica-R.com
    Last edited by Daniel_OB; 11-16-2006 at 01:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_OB View Post
    After all that “manipulators” have left photography and turned other way, and quarreling around internet what is photography, I feel that photography is picking up and stream there where it belongs. Many predictions of demise of photography proved wrong, many restructuring are done as the result of leaving mass production, and back to “normal”. I think that real danger to photography was not digital illustrations and commercial advertising business sake, but that “mass produced guys” that actually never was interested in photography. If we look back why and when photography is invented, who started it, the way it passed up to today, and when it just got over saturated that digi* illustration came to clear the air. I also think that there was no better way for photography.

What you think where photography go. Or to avoid a crystal ball, what is photography that you target in future (e.g. personal photography, art photography, macro work, B&W/Color,…).

www.Leica-R.com
    I'm not sure where you're going with this, but to me photography means a lot of things so I will not quit. I've come to a point where I just don't care about what other people do or say about photography in general.

By the way, quite frankly, I think the "mass-produced" guys are in every business where the potential money is. For example, in Japan, 5,6 years after seeing the miserable failure of the privatized public school system in the U.S. that was the Edison School, we've got the exact same copied model, the same stinky animal over here now. The head of the company is from a corporate food-chain business, and I doubt he knows anything about education. I don't think anyone does believe he does, but he's "interested" in education and the current educational reforms. I don't think I have to explain more.

Anyway, yesterday, I walked into a camera store and saw some nicely low-priced used professional film cameras in there. Maybe they used to be owned by pros, or some "mass-produced" guys, I don't know, but I'll probably come back to the store soon and buy what I really need.

That was after seeing a film about Henri Cartier-Bresson in a small and empty art film theater; I sat with one other person in the audience for the entire screening. I wasn't surprised by that, though. But the film after the one we saw, which was some trendy twenty-something digi-movie stuff that I didn't even care, had many people waiting in line at the door. That was a little shocking.

Well, what I'm trying to say is that I know what exactly I want despite the current fashion and/or trend out there. Techinically I could only hand-produce my photos, which takes a lot of time. If I hurry up and do that to get a volume in quantity, I'll screw up badly. If I switch to the current digi stuff, I'll never be as happy, and that's for sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My dad had a camera when I was a kid and it was a big thing (mid 60's). He gave me one when I was a little older and I promptly left it in the rain and ruined the camera and pissed off my folks.
    25 years later my girl at the time bought me a little nikon and it was back on.

I do it because I can.
    I like looking at it because It makes me want to do it more.
    It is art.

Life is a good thing when you can do things that are hard because they are fun...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Daniel_OB, I can't manage to make sense of most of your post?

But "B&W high quality commercial work and art" is what I aim for myself - I take (and make) pictures primarily for my own satisfaction. If somebody calls it "art" and is willing to pay for it, then I'm really satisfied.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know if this is where Daniel is going, but all the posts so far have mirrored my thoughts on continuing my (humble) film image efforts. I'm SO involved I'm not willing to spend the time/money to aquire the digital knowledge/equipment to adequately post those efforts here. "One track" Jo!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_OB View Post

www.Leica-R.com

what??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Where is my photography moving? Don't know, it's been moving in the wrong directions for some time and right now its almost nonexicting. What I hope for is that I do get to build that Darkroom in the shed we are going to extend.
    I have decided to get me a 5X7" camera and since my 35mm gear don't get used that much (shooting 6X7 instead) it seems Im moving up in format.
    I started in 35mm colorslides ->35mm B&W->6X6 B&W and now Im shooting 6X7 B&W and color negs. It's kind of silly, I think, that I still shoots B&W when Im without a Darkroom but I can't help it. I also feel like shooting some 6X7 Slides. Again I don't really know why cause I don't have neither a projector nor a scanner so I can't see the results on screen or paper. We have finally got infected with a Dcam in the house and the darned thing is really annoying maybe that will make me shoot my Nikons some more (instant action when pressing the shutter). Im getting more and more interested in LF, both B&W and Color and I like the slow process when Im shooting my 6X7 so I can't wait moving up format once more. Subject vice I have moved from color Macro/closeups (35mm) to landscapes in B&W(6X7) and people (6X7,35mm), or erh that is, my son. The plan with the 5X7" was to do some contacts, POP and maybe some argyrotype. I have done some figurestudies in B&W a subject that Id like to take up again. What I find disturbing is that it seems Im abandoning 35mm whether its because Im moving upformat or because.......... I don't know.
    I still love photographing film and I will continue as long as its possible even though the d***thing would be easier and give results which film, apart from the color rushprints, doesn't under the curent circumstances.
    Strange and against all odds
    Cheers
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Don't worry about "photography"

Make your own pictures.. Successfully anticipating trends simply means your work will be received as mainstream and bland. No one ever made memorable art by examining demographics in advance.

Ignore "photography." Stop reading photo rags (most of which are really just monthly catalogs for manufacturers, with minimal photo content). Look at your pictures. Look at the world. Think about what makes each interesting. Make more pictures. Remind yourself that the best pictures are yet to be made. Remind yourself that such a promise is only true if you work at it.

"photography" will work it own self out
    Last edited by bjorke; 11-17-2006 at 11:13 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: one extra sentence

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Photography is merely self expression with a camera.

Where will it go?

It'll go where you take it.

Don't overthink it, just do it.

As bjorke says, "it'll look after itself.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    bjorke
    All you said is correct. But this is not started to pick up some advice what is me (or anyone) to shoot. It is like coffee talk, what is your photography all about and what you are thinking about your future photography, or what is it you would like to do with your photography. E.g. I like to come close to the subject and examine its the most important details, and I like to have (most of the time) nice blur too included into my photographs... it is one part where I target my photography, it is where it go for me, as I think today...
    www.Leica-R.com
    Last edited by Daniel_OB; 11-17-2006 at 02:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin