Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,477   Online: 1092

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You'd have to be pretty clearer on your definition of art to resolve that one. I don't need to cite you the large literature that exists on this problem, nor the incessant headaches it is creating in most individuals, nor the neverending but very interesting threads this creates on APUG. Finally, you probably want to ask yourself why is it that between two things of the same broad category (photo) one would be art and one would not.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suppose it is quite difficult to find the exact line. But when I was working as a journalist at different local newspapers in Sweden, some photographers doing up to 12 jobs in a day never produced anything worth printing on real paper. But when I worked as a night editor of one a big newspaper, the photographers could decide what they wanted to cover and didn't just come along as a driver to the reporter... Then the photographer, picture editor and I could sometimes take up to an hour to discuss and choose the front page picture. This was almost 10 years ago and I am pretty sure no Swedish newspaper can afford this way to work anymore. I don't know if these pictures could qualify as art, and I don't relly care. But we had some really good photographers and published some really good pictures.

/matti

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, North America, Third Rock From The Sun....
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by haris View Post
    James Nachtwey
    Or Sebastio Selgado, Susan Meiselas, Peter or David Turnley, Phillip Jones Griffiths.
    My "Personal" Photography Website...

"Photography is an act of Life" - Maine 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An interesting side discussion is what is a photojournalist? I condisder Salgado and most of the work of Eugene Smith to be documentary photography. That is they had a subject that they researched and explored in depth, being able to plan many aspects of the photos. I think of the photojournalist as a person who is covering a breaking news event or action that they have absolutely no control over. They are just along for the ride so to speak.

Maybe documentary photography is just an off shoot of the "action" photography that I consider photojournalism. Smith's WW2 work is shoot on the run stuff, but his work evolved into a documentary and photo essay style over the years.

So maybe they are the same, but I see two seperate categories that the best photographers are able to move between with excellent results in both genres.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin