Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,361   Online: 814

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I only print the ones which I am really chuffed with now fo the same reasons. If it is not worthy of framing, I dont print it. This solves the problem - just raise the bar...I also find that mixing up styles helps. I got a bit fed up of the LF thing and started using mt Bronica RF645 for more fluid work better fused with travel and it provided a real release....I also produced some of my better images. Another possible solution is standardising frame sizes for 'portfoliio work'. It is something I am definitely doing as soon as I am back home so I can rotate matted prints thru frames either for my own pleasure or exhibition/sale.

Just dont stop shooting....

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Print exchanges?

Every once in a while my wife sees a print I've made and says "I want that to hang in my office". And then occasionally a while later she asks if I have one more of that, because a colleague of hers wants one. That's nice.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some are given as gifts, the wife's niece expects one every year for Christmas. Also, you could donate a print or two to your local Chamber of Commerce for their annual fund raiser, or any other auction/fund raiser if so inclined. That gives someone a chance to pick up a hand made print and encourage them (and anyone else that see's it) to look for another. You could also consider using these prints to try hand coloring, if so inclined.

Or it could be that you need a project, something to work on as body of work that would benefit the local historical group, library, etc.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    What do you do with your prints? What keeps you motivated to make more and more?
    I look to build a body of work. I mount and mat my good prints so that they are finished, spotted and toned. When I have built a body of work (50 to 100 finished prints) I will shop a show somewhere. I frame some of my prints for my personal enjoyment in my home. At the very least my heirs will have some very nice work.

I have shot an average of five new 4X5 exposures a day for months now (several hundred negatives) Very few are destined to become fine prints. That is simply the nature of the process for me.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark Citret, during a weekend workshop I took with him, showed us a quite large group of small mounted and matted prints. He told us that most or all would only be printed once, and I guess their lives were spent being shown in the company of the many others in the collection to whomever wanted to see them. I think it's a good idea. Print only ONE of an image you like (as if it were a one of a kind painting), and keep it in a portfolio.

Once upon a time it was a cliched joke that visitors would be 'forced' to endure an endless slide show of the host's vacation, family or whatever slides. With a portfolio box of prints, though, you can offer guests an occasion to view a finite body of your work at their own pace and only to the degree that they care to. I think most people are so amazed at how good mounted prints look that they really do enjoy the opportunity. I've had such folks actually gasp aloud, not because my work was amazing, but because they had just never really seen such photographs up close and they were discovering something for the first time.

In any case, I can't think of a better way to culminate the entire process of photographing than to make final prints. Make them small if you like, but make them!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    SP,
    WA during the summer has some pretty descent art shows.
    Why not try to sell them to the public?
    You can rent all of the outside setup gear, and get your family to help on the setup!
    Make a few bucks, make some new friends, get some great feedback from the public.
    There's also indoor shows.
    A great reference is "Craftmasters News."
    DT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    Why not motivated? Because I don't know what to do with my prints.
    Maybe you can start by honouring your committment to the print exchange. I think you are about a year past due. Just a suggestion.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I agree with the others that the process is not done until the print is done. For me, if it is not matted and on a wall, it is just a working print. I am fortunate to have access to infinite wall space at work.

Does anyone donate prints to non-profit organizations for tax write-offs?
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I agree with all that has been said. AT some point in my life I have done most of them. All prints are window matted for viewing and evaluation. Sometimes this is done in recycled mats since the prints are never dry mounted.

I get pkeasure from having a somewhat constantly changing exhibition in my home.

In addition I participate in two loosely organized groups who get together every 6-8 weeks for the purpose of sharing current work. This has proven very rewarding for me and certainly gives me the incentive to continue working. Such groups are easily organized and have no rules, officers, dues, etc. One group meets for dinner prior to setting up a small light and easel for viewing, the other meets in homes on a rotating basis.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    shootin-fun, printin-work. My power just came back on after the wind storm.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin