Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,101   Online: 866

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    I look to build a body of work. I mount and mat my good prints so that they are finished, spotted and toned. When I have built a body of work (50 to 100 finished prints) I will shop a show somewhere. I frame some of my prints for my personal enjoyment in my home. At the very least my heirs will have some very nice work.
    That sounds like my approach. Whether I ever show or not, the idea of preparing to, motivates me...secondarily, to the desire to become a better printer.

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    Images
    I work in a large office, covering a single floor in a high rise in downtown Denver. Walls were blank except for two canvas prints of oil rigs in sunrise or sunset depictions. I got permission to matte, frame and hang all that I wanted to to make the stark white hallway walls just a little nicer. Hanging about six at a time, I am up to twenty nine at this point. Lots of nice comments, and for my part, I get to see them every time I walk around the halls. I will keep going until the walls are nicely covered and then begin to further highgrade as my work continues. Not a perfect solution as they haven't offered to pay for the matting and framing or the actual printing. Still, I get to see some of what I consider my best stuff every day and so do lots of others. Very satisfying!

Stew

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Motivation?

What keeps me motivated is the creative process itself. If you are seeking acceptance for your work beyond yourself then maybe you should seek another outlet. Your work doesn't have to do anything. It just has to be. To use the oldest cliche in the book- it's not the destination , it's the trip.

Severian, Autarch of Urth, Journeyman in the Society of the Seekers of Truth and Penitence. aka Jack B

Shooter
    35mm
    Why do I print? To create a body of work that represents me and my vision, that is the collection and the reflection of my thoughts and feelings from time to time. Maybe someday, I will want to publish a photo book with them.

Printing at the size of 8x10 paper is not too big or too costly to go on a large volume, and it's like running a marathon. The more I do, the less the differences are between what I consider great shots/prints and the no-so-great ones, but they all mean something and have a place to fit and fill the entire picture. So, I kind of try to even out the images I'm dealing with, not to have too much highs and lows.

Neg scans are not the work I want, and they are still not in a shape of what they are supposed to be. I've spent enough time doing that, but that does not help me reach my goals faster than getting my hands wet with the traditional method of darkroom photography at this point. But this could change depending on the climate of the future of photography.

But I agree that there are photos that I don't print because they are not going anywhere. I always call them "test prints", and I have boxes of test prints that are about to get thrown away. They are boring and just not good photos.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    What do you do with your prints? What keeps you motivated to make more and more?
    Ultimately it's a question of what you want to do with your photos/prints. I keep my old prints of the images I like, and I usually use them as gifts. I mean, printing on photographic paper costs a lot, so you need to find the most appropriate way to use the paper eventually.

I was reading some comments on the thread about the sizes of prints that people use, and that gets tricky, too if you don't know what you want to do with your images. If you have a series of images you want to print, but when it's 30, 40, 50, or even 100 and more, it's very hard to start with large prints, financially. But if you focus on 10 or 20 images as a set, then making large prints won't hurt as much.

I'm just moytivated by the images I like to keep in a long run. If I'm not getting good ones, I try harder because I care for some reason. It's definitely more than a hobby but perhasp less than a profession, so I have keep practicing it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    “Looking at my photographic activity for the last year, I realize I have exposed and developed a lot of film. I do a contact sheet and scan the film for databasing in my on-line photo catalog. I haven't printed much...

Why? I'm not motivated.

Why not motivated? Because I don't know what to do with my prints. I can only mount and hang so many. I found that I was collecting stacks of un-mounted and un-loved prints. So I stopped printing.

If I knew what to do with a good print beyond throwing into a stack somewhere then I'd be actively printing again.

What do you do with your prints? What keeps you motivated to make more and more?”
    ------------------
    I think you shoot because you have a camera.
    Whenever you take a camera in your hand ask yourself: why you want to make that “picture”. WHY? No answer just do not shoot.

You are not motivated because you do not know what and why you are doing. Might be photography is not right think for you. You figure out. Find someone to direct you, or attend a workshop.

There will be no point to print again because you do not like them. If you like them your post will looks very different.

I hang my prints on walls, send to galleries, sometimes sell (I found difficult time to part with them), bust my memory, let my imagination to flow producing stories while analyzing them, looking what and who I am, ….. I just love any of my prints. They are large part of myself, they make story about me, they are source of life to me.

It is rare case that I just take cam and shoot. It usually go to making some drawing on paper while listening to some music, ….
    and then thinking is it better if use photography or painting...
    And why you use camera instead of brash or pencil. Is visual art really you are for?

Hope this will help

www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_OB View Post
    I think you shoot because you have a camera.
    Whenever you take a camera in your hand ask yourself: why you want to make that “picture”. WHY? No answer just do not shoot.

You are not motivated because you do not know what and why you are doing. Might be photography is not right think for you. You figure out. Find someone to direct you, or attend a workshop.

There will be no point to print again because you do not like them. If you like them your post will looks very different.

I hang my prints on walls, send to galleries, sometimes sell (I found difficult time to part with them), bust my memory, let my imagination to flow producing stories while analyzing them, looking what and who I am, ….. I just love any of my prints. They are large part of myself, they make story about me, they are source of life to me.

It is rare case that I just take cam and shoot. It usually go to making some drawing on paper while listening to some music, ….
    and then thinking is it better if use photography or painting...
    And why you use camera instead of brash or pencil. Is visual art really you are for?

Hope this will help

www.Leica-R.com
    Actually, I think you've hit it on the head. I DO shoot sometimes just because I have a camera at hand. And not just one either. I own multiple Nikon 35mms, 2 6x6, 1 6x4.5 a 4x5 Crown Graphic and various rangefinders. Possibly I own multiples because I love to collect them. More likely, I own many cameras because I know that they're mostly un-repairable. So I have backups of backups.

It seems I am most likely to be shooting when the subject is obvious and right before my eyes. I love wrestling, running, cycling and swimming and make a point to go to various meets and tournaments. I bring a camera and make lots and lots of images. Some get printed, others are put on my website.

Now the hard part. I love the idea of working with my large format gear. There is a stack of about 100 4x5 negatives in my darkroom, most of which have not been printed from. I've struggled to find a subject for each image.

When I go out with the 4x5, I have no subject in mind. I won't be shooting any sports-related subjects, nor any portraiture. Instead, I look for the kinds of things I see other photographers on APUG shooting. Rocks, trees, barns, skys, buildings, building details... things like that. In other words, visual art.

Maybe you're right. Perhaps I am more verbal/logical and less visual. No, it cannot be. I suspect that everyone has a level of visual artistic ability. The question is, how much? How well trained is your ability? What technical skills do you have in your medium?

You suggest a workshop in L.F. work. I see the sense of the suggestion. To be serious and productive as a visual artist, I should be seeking instruction and inspiration. Perhaps my artistic vision is in place but my chosen mechanism of expression is wrong. Perhaps photography IS for me but my method needs work.

Murry: I am very encouraged by your comments. Thank you for your kind words!!! I've read the and appreciated the comments everyone on this thread (with one non-constructive and petty exception). By and large, the APUG community is a fine group of people. It is a pleasure to be a part of APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    I've read the and appreciated the comments everyone on this thread (with one non-constructive and petty exception). By and large, the APUG community is a fine group of people.
    Ooh! I missed this. Looks like papagene is never going to get his print after all. Oh well. I tried. There's only so much a coordinator can do.

Regards, Art (Ironic this thread is the ethics and philosophy sub-forum isn't it?)
    Last edited by gr82bart; 01-02-2007 at 03:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have my prints in portfolio, on walls, give them t opeople, and that keeps me in illusion I am photographer...
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Schwinn
    In your post above You talk about your cameras instead of subjects you want to photograph. Forget for cameras. Talk and think about subjects, then look on them as photographer (not as a painter or as a sculptor,...). It will open the vision. Connect subjects in front of you with a part of your life experience and try to transfer part of your life into that subject. It is you, it is your personality, your life. Every phototograph should be a short story about one part of your life. Work on projects (group of photographs). Walk the street and see: on one side people fighting each other, on another side a man and a woman kissing each other. Where you will point you camera. A photographer that is violent in nature, like tio fight, bad childhood,... will point on the fighting side, you answer who will point to second side.
    Making such photographs that reflects YOU, you will start to like them very much.

www.Leica-R.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin