Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,558   Posts: 1,621,760   Online: 943
      
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 37 of 37
  1. #31
    SchwinnParamount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,157
    Images
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    Ooh! I missed this. Looks like papagene is never going to get his print after all. Oh well. I tried. There's only so much a coordinator can do.

    Regards, Art (Ironic this thread is the ethics and philosophy sub-forum isn't it?)
    Ethics?... please. this is coming from a guy who badgered me into agreeing to the photo exchange against my better wishes in the first place. I agreed to send one just to get him off my back. I wish I had not. Does "Great tube Art" ( a sophomoric reference to his... whatever) tell you all that he resorted to begging for volunteers for a print exchange? Nope, not a word. Sorry papagene, I'd send you a print if I had one to send and if I wasn't being badgered by great tube.

    A little perspective, I am publicly accused (they call that slander by the way, G.T.) of having no ethics because I didn't send a photographic print? So then, which sin is worse? I suspect what is happening here is that the organizer of an exchange cannot stand the idea that his exchanged failed in any way to produce 100 participation and he's justifying his existence as an organizer by publicly accusing those he feels let HIM down.

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Posts
    1,322
    If you don’t print you cant get better and trust me making scans of negs then Photoshop never match a real print and you will never know what the negative is capable of. This is a mistake i think many make.

    You need to sell prints? Hit the local galleries in your area, talk to local business, hang them around town, etc. There is always an outlet or good images to be shown and sold, you just have to make it happen.

    If not then just shoot digital as there is no difference then, neg scan , digital image all the same.

    The real beauty comes from a silver or alternative print. Get printing man you owe it to yourself!

    And of course there's always eBay...

  3. #33
    SchwinnParamount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,157
    Images
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by kjsphoto View Post
    If you don’t print you cant get better and trust me making scans of negs then Photoshop never match a real print and you will never know what the negative is capable of. This is a mistake i think many make.

    You need to sell prints? Hit the local galleries in your area, talk to local business, hang them around town, etc. There is always an outlet or good images to be shown and sold, you just have to make it happen.

    If not then just shoot digital as there is no difference then, neg scan , digital image all the same.

    The real beauty comes from a silver or alternative print. Get printing man you owe it to yourself!

    And of course there's always eBay...
    Kevin, you're sure right about that! I finally got access to a darkroom after I lost mine in a flood. I used the community darkroom at Evergreen State University (Olympia WA). I've got to tell you. They've got it going on! 15 Beseler 4x5 enlargers, a great print mounting room with all sorts of great equipment, super fiber print washing facilities, a huge and very well organized darkroom sink where all the water comes out at 68 degrees... they've got a temperature regulator there. I made a few postcard prints from my old stock of Kodak postcard paper. they turned out OK. Not great. I'm going to have to learn how to make the Kodak paper behave with that fancy computerized Ilford multicontrast head.

  4. #34
    gr82bart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,247
    Images
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    Ethics?... please. this is coming from a guy who badgered me into agreeing to the photo exchange against my better wishes in the first place. I agreed to send one just to get him off my back. I wish I had not. Does "Great tube Art" ( a sophomoric reference to his... whatever) tell you all that he resorted to begging for volunteers for a print exchange? Nope, not a word. Sorry papagene, I'd send you a print if I had one to send and if I wasn't being badgered by great tube.

    A little perspective, I am publicly accused (they call that slander by the way, G.T.) of having no ethics because I didn't send a photographic print? So then, which sin is worse? I suspect what is happening here is that the organizer of an exchange cannot stand the idea that his exchanged failed in any way to produce 100 participation and he's justifying his existence as an organizer by publicly accusing those he feels let HIM down.
    LMAO!

    You made my day.

    Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

  5. #35
    Daniel_OB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Mississauga, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    420
    SchwinnParamount
    I think as I know you now more, might be you are geting what photography is all about. Just not satisied and want more, tipical and normal artistical problem, and at the same time realising that photography is not about equipment but about hard work, which is true. Might be it is normal for final stage of learning about photography. Unfortunately or fortunately, so many photographers never reach that stage.
    Working around "blocks" with your experience is not possible and funny. You are just walking and walking around your canvas thinking what else to add to your picture before you declare "d-o-n-e". I guess it is good and would not accept it as a problem. I think you should not stop your own way, or change direction, and all will just pop-out.

    www.Leica-R.com

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,064
    [QUOTE=What do you do with your prints? What keeps you motivated to make more and more?[/QUOTE]

    Have you considered working topwards a photographic qualification or distinction? The Royal Photographic Society here in the UK has three levels of distinction - Licentiateship, Associateship and Fellowship that are obtained by submission of a panel of prints, slides or (even) digital images. I obtained my LRPS almost three years ago and am now working towards my Associateship. The project gives me a focus (should I need one), there's no time limit (unless self imposed) and I can do whatever else I feel like along the way, including selling (rarely), giving away (more often!) or doing anything else with material from the ARPS project.

    The RPS has links to photographic societies around the world (notably the PSA) and in the magazine distinctions are applied for and awarded to people just about everywhere on the planet. Here's the link:
    http://www.rps.org/

    You'll still end up with the prints, but also with the satisfaction of an "end product"!

    Best wishes,

    Steve

  7. #37
    kraker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Netherlands, close to the Belgian border
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,204
    Images
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    What do you do with your prints? What keeps you motivated to make more and more?
    I used to just show them to a group of friends and fellow-photographers. But that's just "show once, then put on the stack again". And indeed, that's not a real motivator.

    Just yesterday, I took some ancient poster off the office wall and put some of my prints there. The first reaction was discouraging: "Hey, where did that poster of Ancient Rome go, and why is it replaced by pictures of some modern building?". All reactions since, however, have been motivating. Nice prints, nice compositions, are they yours? Hey, that's a square format, etc. etc. Yes, this is motivating! I have postponed this because I wanted to properly frame the prints; finally, I decided against it and just used some 'poster buddies' (sorry, that's what they are called over here) to put the photos on the wall. Should have done this much sooner. It's a kick to get feedback. I will print more, that's for sure!

    shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin